Corona loss in bundled conductors

In summary, calculating corona power loss for bundled conductor involves using various methods and formulas found in academic journals. These journals can typically be accessed through a university's technical library. Increasing the distance between conductors can decrease corona loss, but changing the distance between conductors in the same bundle can have different effects. A PDF document discussing this issue can be found at the provided link, and it is generally understood that bundled conductors should not experience corona loss. Corona can cause damage to air and insulators, but the effects can be mitigated by using resistant materials. To accurately calculate corona power loss, one must consider the geometry, voltage levels, and frequency of the conductors.
anveshjadav
can anyone tell me that how to calculate corona power loss for bundled conductor? I need formulae of it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I googled corona power loss, and got lots of hits. Unfortunately, almost all of them are for abstracts of papers that you would need to purchase to download. But if you look at the journals that they were published in, you may have those journals available for check-out at your University's technical library. Here's the hit list for you to look over:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=corona+power+loss

It appears that there are a number of different methods to do these calculations.

I've also searched, but i couldn't find any free article.
As we know if we increase the distance between comductors, corona loss decreases, but i want to know that what will happen if v change the distance between conductor in same bundle?

check this pdf document http://www.tripledoubleyou.com/zaius/damper.pdf .

Last edited by a moderator:
There should not be any corona loss in bundled conductors.
Corona creates something like acid and if there is any corona, most solid insulators will fail.
Corona in air only damages the air and insulators. The air is replaced with other air and the material used for insulators is resistant to corona.

anveshjadav said:
can anyone tell me that how to calculate corona power loss for bundled conductor? I need formulae of it.
What is your geometry (number of conductors, insulation, spacing), voltage levels, and frequency?

Bob S

Related to Corona loss in bundled conductors

What is corona loss in bundled conductors?

Corona loss in bundled conductors is the phenomenon of energy loss that occurs in high voltage transmission lines due to the presence of corona discharge. Corona discharge is a form of electrical discharge that produces a hissing or crackling sound and is accompanied by the emission of light and heat.

How does corona loss affect power transmission?

Corona loss can significantly affect power transmission by causing energy loss, which reduces the efficiency and reliability of the transmission system. It can also lead to increased operating costs and potential damage to the transmission line equipment.

What factors contribute to corona loss in bundled conductors?

The factors that contribute to corona loss in bundled conductors include the voltage level, conductor size and shape, atmospheric conditions, and spacing between conductors. Higher voltages and smaller conductor sizes can increase the risk of corona discharge, while wider spacing and smoother conductor surfaces can reduce it.

How can corona loss in bundled conductors be reduced?

Several measures can be taken to reduce corona loss in bundled conductors, such as increasing the conductor size, reducing the voltage level, and using special conductor designs that minimize corona discharge. Additionally, proper maintenance and regular cleaning of the transmission lines can also help reduce corona loss.

What are the potential effects of corona loss on the environment?

Corona loss can potentially have negative effects on the environment, such as producing ozone and nitrogen oxides which contribute to air pollution. It can also cause interference with radio and communication signals, which can impact various industries and services.