Core material selection to achieve desired inductance of a coil?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in determining the permeability of a core needed for a coil with specific specifications. They have all the necessary measurements except for the core material, which they believe to be ferrite with a permeability of 1,000. They are asking for advice on how to determine the permeability, with suggestions to measure the A-sub-L and saturation flux density. The speaker also suggests using a core with higher permeability and adding gaps to adjust the inductance.
hobbs125
Hello everyone,

I am trying to make a coil with the exact specs as the original. I have all the info I need except the actual core material used. I have all the measurements of the core and coil including: Wire gauge, # of turns and turns per layer,Bobbin dimensions, inductance without the core, inductance with the core, operating frequency range etc. I believe the core material is ferrite with a permeability of around 1,000 but I'm not exactly sure.

How can I determine the permeability of the core I need?

Engineering news on Phys.org
hobbs125 said:
Hello everyone,

I am trying to make a coil with the exact specs as the original. I have all the info I need except the actual core material used. I have all the measurements of the core and coil including: Wire gauge, # of turns and turns per layer,Bobbin dimensions, inductance without the core, inductance with the core, operating frequency range etc. I believe the core material is ferrite with a permeability of around 1,000 but I'm not exactly sure.

How can I determine the permeability of the core I need?

There are two main things that you need to quantify, IMO. You need the A-sub-L of the material, and the saturation flux density.

The A-sub-L is the inductance per turn squared. You can measure this directly, and correlate that to the datasheet numbers that you look up.

The saturation flux density is also fairly easy to measure.

The easy way to make an inductor is to select a core with higher permeability than required and then add gaps to the core

Related to Core material selection to achieve desired inductance of a coil?

What is the purpose of selecting the appropriate core material for a coil?

The core material of a coil is responsible for creating and maintaining the magnetic field necessary for inductance. Choosing the right material ensures that the coil will have the desired inductance and perform effectively in its intended application.

What factors should be considered when selecting a core material for a coil?

The main factors to consider are the desired inductance, frequency of operation, temperature range, and cost. Different materials will have different properties that can affect these factors, so it is important to choose one that best suits the specific requirements of the coil.

What are the most commonly used core materials for coils?

The most commonly used core materials for coils are iron, ferrite, and air. Iron is a good choice for low frequency applications, while ferrite is better for high frequency applications. Air is often used in high precision coils due to its low magnetic permeability.

How does the core material affect the inductance of a coil?

The core material has a direct impact on the inductance of a coil. Materials with higher magnetic permeability will have a higher inductance, while materials with lower permeability will have a lower inductance. Additionally, the shape and size of the core can also affect the inductance.

What are some potential drawbacks of using certain core materials for coils?

Some core materials may have limitations in terms of temperature range, frequency range, or cost. For example, iron cores can experience significant losses at high frequencies, while ferrite cores may be more expensive. It is important to carefully consider the potential drawbacks when selecting a core material for a coil.