Copyright law when making youtube videos about science?

In summary, the conversation discusses the legality of creating educational videos on science topics such as the citric acid cycle and the fundamental theorem of calculus. The individual is unsure about copyright rules and is concerned about using copyrighted content in their videos. They also mention that formulas cannot be copyrighted and suggest checking with the publisher for permission to use copyrighted material under fair use.
christian0710
Hi, Let's say I was to make a youtube video on a science topic such as:
Chemistry - The citric acid cycle from the book Biochemistry by Stryer (Copyrighted)
Or The fundamental theorem of calculus

Would it be legal to take the formulas from the book, draw them on a whiteboard and videotape it while i use the explanations from the copyrighted book, just with my own words?

The confusion on copyright rules keep me from making educational videos because I'm not quite sure what part's in science are copyrighted and what parts are not. I find this a bit frustrating and I can't seem to find any rules addressing this specific question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty sure formulas can't be copyrighted, and I'm sure Stryer got those formulas from somewhere else and didn't invent them himself.

Yea that makes sense :)
So i guess i can basically teach anything, even chemistry techniques and methods, as long as it's not company secrets and as long as i make my own drawings and writing.

You should check with the publisher, using small amounts is ok under fair use. There are different rules based upon your use. To be safe, get an ok from the company that holds the copyright. Never assume it's "ok".

I understand your concern about copyright laws when creating educational videos on science topics. The use of copyrighted materials, such as formulas and explanations from books, in your videos can be a tricky area to navigate. However, there are some general guidelines you can follow to ensure that you are not infringing on copyright laws.

Firstly, it is important to determine if the content you want to use is protected by copyright. In the case of the citric acid cycle from the book Biochemistry by Stryer, it is likely that the diagrams and explanations are protected by copyright. This means that you would need to obtain permission from the copyright holder before using them in your video.

However, the fundamental theorem of calculus is a mathematical concept that is not subject to copyright protection. Therefore, you are free to use it in your video without seeking permission.

In general, it is always best to use your own words and original content in your videos to avoid any potential copyright infringement. If you do need to use copyrighted material, you should always seek permission from the copyright holder beforehand. This can usually be done by contacting the publisher or author of the material.

Additionally, it is important to make sure that the use of the copyrighted material in your video falls under the concept of fair use. Fair use allows for the limited use of copyrighted material for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. However, there are no strict guidelines for determining fair use, so it is always best to err on the side of caution and seek permission if possible.

In conclusion, as a scientist creating educational videos, it is important to be aware of copyright laws and to make sure that you are not infringing on them. Always use your own original content when possible and seek permission when using copyrighted material. This will ensure that your videos are legally sound and can be used to educate and inform others about important scientific concepts.

Related to Copyright law when making youtube videos about science?

1. What types of content are protected by copyright law when making youtube videos about science?

Copyright law protects any original creative work, including videos, images, and written content. This includes scientific research, data, and findings that are presented in a unique and creative way.

2. Do I need permission to use copyrighted material in my science videos?

In most cases, yes. You should always seek permission from the copyright holder before using their material in your videos. This includes images, footage, and music that are not your own.

3. Can I use copyrighted material under fair use for my science videos?

Fair use is a legal doctrine that allows for the use of copyrighted material without permission for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research. Whether or not your use of copyrighted material falls under fair use can be subjective and is determined on a case-by-case basis.

4. How can I protect my own content from being used without my permission on YouTube?

You can protect your content by registering it with the U.S. Copyright Office. This will give you legal protection and the ability to take action against anyone who uses your content without permission. You can also use YouTube's Content ID system to help identify and manage the use of your copyrighted material on the platform.

5. What happens if I receive a copyright strike on my science videos?

If you receive a copyright strike on your video, it means that the copyright owner has reported your video for using their material without permission. If you receive three copyright strikes, your channel may be terminated. It is important to properly credit and obtain permission for any copyrighted material used in your videos to avoid copyright strikes.