Copper Plating Mystery: Solve the Puzzle!

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a solution of copper sulfate in vinegar for electroplating. The speaker noticed that when wire brushing certain metals, the copper created a beautiful arrangement on the work piece. However, when using conventional electroplating, the copper barely adhered to the surface and with a dirty copper anode, the results were poor. The reason for this was attributed to the wire wheel depositing a positive charge on the work piece. The importance of surface preparation and the use of a degreaser in electroplating is also mentioned.
Flyingwing12
I had a solution of copper sulfate in (vinegar) and noticed that when I wire brushed certain metals, the copper made a beautiful arrangement on the work piece, often a perfect semi-gloss. The copper is also seemingly bonded to the metal ( can't wipe it off).

However, when I use conventional electroplating with the solution, the copper just barely hangs on the surface of the work. And with " dirty " copper as the anode, the result is very poor.

So why does this happen? I thought it was the wire wheel depositing a huge positive charge on the work ( which is a pair of pliers with insulated handles. ;) ).

Very interesting indeed.

Attachments

• DSCN2774.jpg
    DSCN2774.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 434
Engineering news on Phys.org
Wire brushing also dramatically changes the surface characteristics doesn't it?
Though, to me, your photo just looks rusty.

Interesting. :smile: This might be better placed in the Chemistry subforum, being quite appropriate for industrial chemists.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with electroplating, but as Simon alludes to, electroplating is highly sensitive to surface preparation. When you wire brush, you're probably removing surface oxide along with any protective coating. Applying a degreaser (and scrubbing) also goes a long way towards removing oils, grease, and grime (which also 'mask' the surface, preventing deposition).

Still, if you hit the "Report" button, you can summon a moderator and get them to move your post over to Chemistry.

After reading your description of the copper plating mystery, it seems that the wire brushing process is creating a stronger bond between the copper and the metal surface compared to conventional electroplating. This could be due to the mechanical action of the wire brush, which may clean and roughen the surface, providing more surface area for the copper to adhere to. It is also possible that the wire brush is creating a more positive charge on the metal, allowing for better bonding with the copper ions in the solution.

Another factor to consider is the composition of the metal being plated. Some metals may have a natural affinity for copper, making it easier for the copper to bond and form a strong arrangement. Additionally, the use of "dirty" copper as the anode may also affect the plating process as it can introduce impurities into the solution.

Further experimentation and analysis would be needed to fully understand the mechanisms at play in this copper plating mystery. It is always exciting to discover new and unexpected results in scientific experiments, and your findings may open up new possibilities for improved plating techniques in the future.

Related to Copper Plating Mystery: Solve the Puzzle!

1. What is copper plating?

Copper plating is a process in which a thin layer of copper is deposited onto the surface of an object through an electrochemical reaction. This can be used for decorative purposes, to improve the conductivity of the object, or to protect it from corrosion.

2. What is the mystery behind copper plating?

The mystery of copper plating lies in the puzzle of how the copper atoms are able to adhere to the surface of the object and form a smooth, uniform layer. This process involves complex chemical reactions and the use of electricity to deposit the copper onto the object.

3. How can I solve the copper plating mystery?

To solve the copper plating mystery, one must understand the science behind electrochemistry and the principles of copper plating. This involves studying the properties of copper, the role of electricity, and the chemical reactions involved in the process.

4. What are the factors that affect copper plating?

There are several factors that can affect the copper plating process, including the type of metal being plated, the concentration and temperature of the plating solution, the voltage and current used, and the surface preparation of the object.

5. What are the applications of copper plating?

Copper plating has a wide range of applications, including in the manufacturing of electronics, jewelry, and kitchenware. It is also commonly used in the automotive and aerospace industries for its corrosion resistance and electrical conductivity.