Cooling Load Calculation for Dough Passing Through Rollers

In summary, the problem at hand is determining the cooling load needed for a chiller in a machine with a dough passing through a pair of rollers. The given information includes the mass flow rate, specific heat, and temperature in and out of the product, as well as the diameter and material of the rollers and the temperature of the chilled water. Adjusting the water's flow rate and discharge temperature may be necessary to determine the cooling load, but accurately accounting for loss may be difficult. There is not currently software available to simulate this specific scenario, so trial and error may be the best approach. The possibility of modeling the dough as a slab passing through the rollers has also been suggested.
plucker_08
I have a dough passing through a pair of rollers equipped with internal circulating chilled water.

given: mass flow rate, specific heat and temp in/out of the product
diameter of the rollers, its material.
temp. in of the chilled water.

problem: cooling load needed for the chiller.

Engineering news on Phys.org
is the equation right?

Qwater = Qconduction + Qdough + Qloss

You didn't mention a flow rate for the water, so I'll assume you don't have it... But it is the same for the dough as it would be for the water: mass flow times specific heat times delta-T.

Figuring out if there is loss and how much would be difficult, though...

I guess I'll just adjust the water's flow rate and discharge temperature. the main problem here is the cooling load.

is there any software that can simulate this?

Not really, the heat transfer of dough doesn't seem like a very common application.

Is this machine custom manufactured? Does the vendor have such information?
I guess I'll just adjust the water's flow rate and discharge temperature.
If you do a few trials, you'll have enough information to construct your own model.

i mean, i can model it as a slab passing through a pair of rollers factoring in its specific heat, etc.

uppers

Related to Cooling Load Calculation for Dough Passing Through Rollers

1. What is a cooling load calculation for dough passing through rollers?

A cooling load calculation for dough passing through rollers is a process used to determine the amount of heat that must be removed from the dough in order to maintain a specific temperature as it passes through the rollers. This calculation takes into account factors such as the dough's initial temperature, the speed of the rollers, and the ambient temperature.

2. Why is a cooling load calculation important for dough passing through rollers?

A cooling load calculation is important for dough passing through rollers because it ensures that the dough is kept at a consistent temperature throughout the production process. This is crucial for achieving the desired quality and texture of the dough, as well as for food safety purposes.

3. How is a cooling load calculation for dough passing through rollers performed?

A cooling load calculation typically involves using mathematical equations and formulas to determine the amount of heat that must be removed from the dough. This may require taking measurements of the dough's temperature at various points in the production process and inputting this data into the calculations.

4. What factors can affect the cooling load calculation for dough passing through rollers?

Several factors can impact the cooling load calculation for dough passing through rollers, including the initial temperature of the dough, the speed and size of the rollers, the type and thickness of the dough, and the ambient temperature and humidity in the production facility.

5. How can the results of a cooling load calculation for dough passing through rollers be used?

The results of a cooling load calculation can be used to determine the appropriate cooling equipment and settings needed to maintain the desired temperature of the dough as it passes through the rollers. This information can also be used to optimize production processes and ensure the quality and safety of the final product.