Converting Rotation matrix to operate on fractional coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses a rotation matrix and its application on a unit cell with specific dimensions and space group. The question is raised about converting the original rotation matrix to a new one for operating on fractional coordinates. Another problem is mentioned regarding rotating a 3D body around an arbitrary axis without rotating the principal axes. The solution is suggested to treat the axis as a vector and use hierarchical coordinate systems. Finally, the angle-axis formulation is recommended for the desired rotation.
rheugle
Hi

I have an orthogonalized rotation matrix

-0.500000 -0.866025 0.000000
0.866025 -0.500000 0.000000
0.000000 0.000000 1.000000

for the following unit cell:
a b c alpha beta gamma space group
131.760 131.760 120.910 90.00 90.00 120.00 P 31

Does anyone know how I convert my original rotation matrix to the following one for operation on on a set of fractional coordinates?

0.000000 -1.000000 0.000000
1.000000 -1.000000 0.000000
0.000000 0.000000 1.000000

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey rheugle and welcome to the forums.

What do you mean by fractional co-ordinates? Also with the matrix you posted, is this a new basis that you wish to use instead of the standard one?

Hi Guys,

Sorry I am not going to reply to the question above but I have another problem regarding my task. I hope you don't mind to reply. My problem is as follows:

I want to rotate a 3D body around an arbitrary axis with fixed principal axes XYZ. The solutions I found is with Euler angles (Euler rotational matrices). But in Euler case, we are not rotating the body but rotating the principal axes, which I don't want.

In short:
In Euler case we map axes XYZ to X'Y'Z' with rotation matrices using any angle theta.
I my case I want my body position xyz to be mapped to new position x'y'z' after rotation about an arbitrary axis of angle theta. (XYZ = XYZ before and after applying rotation).

I hope I am clear to explain my question here.
Desperately waiting for help.

Thanks in advance.

Mushi

If you want to rotate the axis then just treat the axis like a vector or point and rotate that with a rotation matrix.

This is basically what hierarchical co-ordinate systems are about: each system has a reference point, a scale, and an orientation with respect to its parent system.

So in short: you have a rotation matrix to rotate the axis so first calculate that then plug that into the new matrix for rotating your point and your done.

A' = RA, R - rotation matrix to rotate axis, A original axis and then X' = QX where Q is rotation matrix based on A' and X is the point.

The angle-axis formulation is what you need:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_matrix#Rotation_matrix_from_axis_and_angle

Could someone explain in detail what is the reference frame of the equation given in the link above?

I doubt that the matrix is with respect to the principal frame or in this case the XYZ frame mentioned by Mushi.

Related to Converting Rotation matrix to operate on fractional coordinates

1. How do I convert a rotation matrix to operate on fractional coordinates?

To convert a rotation matrix to operate on fractional coordinates, you need to first determine the fractional basis vectors for your crystal system. Then, you can use a simple formula to transform the rotation matrix by multiplying it with the inverse of the fractional basis vectors. This will give you a new rotation matrix that operates on fractional coordinates.

2. Can I use the same conversion method for all crystal systems?

No, the conversion method for converting a rotation matrix to operate on fractional coordinates may vary depending on the crystal system. For example, the formula for transforming the rotation matrix may be different for a monoclinic system compared to a cubic system. It is important to determine the correct formula for your specific crystal system.

3. Do I need to consider the orientation of the crystal when converting the rotation matrix?

Yes, the orientation of the crystal can affect the conversion of the rotation matrix. This is because the fractional basis vectors may change depending on the orientation of the crystal. It is important to take this into account when converting a rotation matrix to operate on fractional coordinates.

4. Is it possible to convert a rotation matrix to operate on fractional coordinates without using a formula?

No, a formula is necessary to convert a rotation matrix to operate on fractional coordinates. This is because the conversion process involves matrix multiplication and the use of inverse matrices, which cannot be done without a formula.

5. Are there any tools or software available to help with the conversion of rotation matrices?

Yes, there are several tools and software available that can help with the conversion of rotation matrices to operate on fractional coordinates. Some popular options include VESTA, CrystalMaker, and Materials Studio. These tools often have built-in functions for converting rotation matrices to operate on fractional coordinates.