Converting Polar to Cartesian Coordinates

In summary, the conversation involved finding the Cartesian Coordinates of the polar equation r=2sin(2θ). The final equation was x2+y2=4sin2(2θ), but there was some confusion and mistakes made in the process. The correct equation should only contain x's and y's, and the final step is to substitute θ in the remaining term 4sin2(2θ).
tina_081493
I was given the problem r=2sin(2(θ)). I'm supposed to write the equation in the Cartesian Coordinates. I understand the basics to this but I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to write the equation when I have x=2sin(2(θ))cos(θ) and y=2sin(2θ)sin(θ).

Physics news on Phys.org
Tip: Square x and y and try to add them. Then try to subtitue θ.

I ended up getting the equation for a circle in the cartesian coordinates which does not match the graph for the polar equation.

tina_081493 said:
I ended up getting the equation for a circle in the cartesian coordinates which does not match the graph for the polar equation.
Could you write down your final result? I doubt that it is a circle equation...

Ok so as I was typing out my work, I realized a mistake I made. So now I'm down to:

(cosθ)^2+(sinθ)^2+2cosθsinθ=1

Am I going to need to use some kind of trig substitution to solve this now?

I don't know how did you come up with that :/

If you square x and y, you get respectively: x2=4sin2(2θ)cos2(θ) and y2=4sin2(2θ)sin2(θ).
Now you've got to add the two equations and apply the distributive law to the second part in order to get rid of the cos2(θ)+sin2(θ) terms. It should be straightforward from now on. Your final step is to subtitue θ in the remaining 4sin2(2θ) term.

I took x2+y2=r2

Because of the r2, the 4sin22θ canceled out, leaving me with what I got.

Your final equation should only contain x's and y's.

x2+y2=4sin2(2θ) right? Subtitue θ and you are done...

What do I substitute theta with?

Related to Converting Polar to Cartesian Coordinates

1. What is the formula for converting from polar to Cartesian coordinates?

The formula for converting from polar to Cartesian coordinates is x = r * cos(theta) and y = r * sin(theta), where r is the distance from the origin and theta is the angle measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.

2. How do you plot a point in Cartesian coordinates given its polar coordinates?

To plot a point in Cartesian coordinates given its polar coordinates, first use the formula x = r * cos(theta) and y = r * sin(theta) to find the x and y values. Then, plot the point (x, y) on the Cartesian plane.

3. Can negative values be used in polar coordinates?

Yes, negative values can be used in polar coordinates. The distance from the origin (r) can be negative if the point is in the third or fourth quadrant, and the angle (theta) can be negative if the point is in the second or third quadrant.

4. How do you convert from Cartesian to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian to polar coordinates, use the formula r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) to find the distance from the origin, and then use the formula theta = tan^-1(y/x) to find the angle measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.

5. Why are polar coordinates useful?

Polar coordinates are useful because they can represent certain geometric shapes, such as circles and ellipses, more simply than Cartesian coordinates. They are also useful for describing the motion of objects in circular or spiral paths.