Converting Ions into Electricity

In summary, the conversation discusses converting high energy ions, specifically those from fusion reactions, into electricity through the process of slowing them down and capturing them. The speaker is seeking additional information and sources on the topic and mentions that ions moving in an electrolyte is how a battery works. Other potential sources for information include wiki and discussions on forums. The conversation also suggests considering how test equipment works, as they also utilize ion conversions.
Drakkith
Mentor
Hey all. I'm trying to find more info on converting moving ions into electricity. AKA Direct Energy Conversion. Anyone know any good sources? I don't really understand how they do it yet, even after reading a few things I found on google.

Physics news on Phys.org
You must be referring to high energy ions, right??

That I'm not familiar with, but ions moving in an electrolyte is how a battery works...as well as corrosion in salt water...and wiki has reading material...there have also been discussions here in the forums recently...

In general any charged particle, that is any ion, can produce electricity...

Have you considered checking how test equipment works?? They make such conversions.

Last edited:
I'm referring to high speed ions, the kind that come from fusion reactions. I was wondering how you can convert them into electricity simply by slowing them down and capturing them. That seems to be the simplified explanation from what I can tell. I just have no idea why that works.

Related to Converting Ions into Electricity

What is the process of converting ions into electricity?

The process of converting ions into electricity involves separating positively and negatively charged ions and allowing them to flow through a conductive material, creating an electrical current.

What are the sources of ions used in generating electricity?

Ions can come from a variety of sources, such as saltwater, batteries, and acidic or alkaline substances. They can also be produced through chemical reactions or extracted from natural materials like minerals.

How are ions separated to produce electricity?

Ions are typically separated using a device called an electrolytic cell. This cell contains two electrodes, a positively charged anode and a negatively charged cathode, which are connected to a power source. When the ions are introduced into the cell, they are attracted to the opposite charge electrode, allowing them to be separated and produce an electrical current.

What factors affect the efficiency of converting ions into electricity?

The efficiency of converting ions into electricity can be affected by several factors, including the concentration of ions, the type and size of the electrodes, and the conductivity of the material used to separate the ions. Temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities can also impact the efficiency of the process.

What are some practical applications of converting ions into electricity?

The conversion of ions into electricity has many practical applications, such as powering batteries, generating electricity from seawater, and producing clean energy from renewable sources like solar or wind. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as electroplating and wastewater treatment.