Converting Improper Integral with Arctan to Partial Fractions

In summary, the integral from 1 to infinity of (arctanx/x^2)dx can be solved using integration by parts and partial fractions.
Shannabel

Homework Statement

find the integral from 1 to infinity of (arctanx/x^2)dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i used integration by parts:
u=arctanx
du=1/(1+x^2)dx
dv=x^-2dx
u=(-1/x)

-arctanx/x + [(1/(x)(1+x^2))dx]from 1 to infinity
i have a partial solution in my book, and here it suggests that i change the integrand to
(1/x)-(x/(1+x^2)) which if i work backward, i can see is equal to the original integrand, but i don't see how to get from (1/(x)(1+x^2)) to (1/x)-(x/(1+x^2))
help?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's done with partial fractions; have you covered partial fractions before?

Bohrok said:
It's done with partial fractions; have you covered partial fractions before?

yes! thankyou :)

Related to Converting Improper Integral with Arctan to Partial Fractions

What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite, or the function being integrated has a vertical asymptote within the interval of integration. These integrals are evaluated using the limit of a proper integral as one or both of the limits of integration approach infinity or the point of discontinuity.

Can an improper integral with arctan be evaluated using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

No, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus can only be used to evaluate definite integrals, which have both finite limits of integration. Improper integrals with arctan have at least one infinite limit of integration, so the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus cannot be used.

How do you evaluate an improper integral with arctan?

To evaluate an improper integral with arctan, you must first determine if it converges or diverges. If it converges, you can use integration by parts or a substitution to rewrite the integral in a form that can be evaluated. If it diverges, you can use a comparison test or limit comparison test to determine its behavior.

What are the common types of improper integrals with arctan?

The most common types of improper integrals with arctan are those with infinite limits of integration, integrands that approach infinity at the point of discontinuity, and integrands that have a vertical asymptote within the interval of integration. These types of integrals require different approaches to evaluation.

How do improper integrals with arctan arise in real-world applications?

Improper integrals with arctan can arise in real-world applications when modeling physical phenomena, such as electric fields or fluid flow. They can also be used in statistics and probability to calculate areas under curves. These integrals can also appear in engineering and economics models that involve rates of change and optimization.