Converting function to Quadratic form

In summary, the person is seeking help with converting a function to quadratic form. The function is fourth order and needs to be converted to a quadratic objective format. The person is facing difficulties due to the higher order of the function. They have tried expanding the function but have hit a wall. They mention using steepest descent to solve the problem and provide some information about the variables involved. They also share a potential approach for converting the function to quadratic form.
scg4d
1. Hi everyone. I'm looking for help with converting this function to quadratic form.

2. The function is f(x1,x2)=(x2-x1)^4 + (12*x1*x2) - x1 + x2 - 3.

The quadratic form I need to convert to is: f(x)=(1/2)x'Qx - x'b + h

where x is a vector=[x1 x2]', '=transpose, Q and b are vectors, and h is the constant. Also, Q is symmetric and positive definite (Q=Q' > 0).

3. The trouble I'm running into is that f(x1,x2) is 4th order, and the examples I have convert only 2nd order functions to the f(x) quadratic objective format above.

I hit a wall when I expand the quadratic to:
-b1 x1 + 0.5 a x1^2 - b2 x2 + 0.5 b x1 x2 + 0.5 c x1 x2 + 0.5 d x2^2
where Q=[a, b; c, d] and b=[b1; b2] and try to figure out the variables.

In case your interested, I'm looking for this info to solve a steepest descent problem, where the varying ak value is ak=g(k)'g((k))/( g(k)'Qg(k) ) where g(k)=Qx(k) - b.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
scg4d said:
1. Hi everyone. I'm looking for help with converting this function to quadratic form.

2. The function is f(x1,x2)=(x2-x1)^4 + (12*x1*x2) - x1 + x2 - 3.

The quadratic form I need to convert to is: f(x)=(1/2)x'Qx - x'b + h

where x is a vector=[x1 x2]', '=transpose, Q and b are vectors, and h is the constant. Also, Q is symmetric and positive definite (Q=Q' > 0).

3. The trouble I'm running into is that f(x1,x2) is 4th order, and the examples I have convert only 2nd order functions to the f(x) quadratic objective format above.

I hit a wall when I expand the quadratic to:
-b1 x1 + 0.5 a x1^2 - b2 x2 + 0.5 b x1 x2 + 0.5 c x1 x2 + 0.5 d x2^2
where Q=[a, b; c, d] and b=[b1; b2] and try to figure out the variables.

In case your interested, I'm looking for this info to solve a steepest descent problem, where the varying ak value is ak=g(k)'g((k))/( g(k)'Qg(k) ) where g(k)=Qx(k) - b.

Thanks for your help!

Here's something that might be helpful, although it has been many years since I did anything with quadratic forms.

You have f(x1,x2)=(x2 - x1)4 + 12x1x2 - x1 + x2 - 3.

Let u = (x2 - x1)2, and let v = x1x2.
Then your function can be written as
u2 + u + 12v - 3
= u2 + u + 1/4 + 12 v - 13/4
= (u + 1/2)2 + 12v - 13/4.
This could be viewed as quadratic in u and v, but with a coefficient of 0 on the v2 term.

Hope this helps.

Related to Converting function to Quadratic form

1. What is the purpose of converting a function to quadratic form?

Converting a function to quadratic form allows us to simplify and better understand the behavior of the function. By rewriting the function in quadratic form, we can easily identify the maximum or minimum values, the roots, and the overall shape of the graph.

2. How do you convert a function to quadratic form?

To convert a function to quadratic form, we need to first identify the coefficients of each term. Then, we can use a variety of techniques such as completing the square, factoring, or using the quadratic formula to rewrite the function in the form of ax^2 + bx + c.

3. Why is it important to convert a function to quadratic form?

Converting a function to quadratic form is important because it allows us to easily solve for the roots of the function and graph it accurately. It also allows us to analyze the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values at specific points.

4. What are some common techniques for converting a function to quadratic form?

Some common techniques for converting a function to quadratic form include completing the square, factoring, and using the quadratic formula. Each of these techniques has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of functions.

5. Can any function be converted to quadratic form?

No, not all functions can be converted to quadratic form. Only functions with terms that have a degree of 2 or less can be rewritten in quadratic form. Functions with higher degrees, such as cubic or quartic functions, require different methods for simplification and analysis.