Converting a problem solved with numerical analysis to a simple exponential

In summary: Basically, this image should outline the question clearlyThere is a curve that fits the data well, and it is exponential. The equation for the recovery process is yn = (1 - 0.7746)*e^(1.693 * t) + 0.7746. This equation can be solved for y(n), and the solution is y(n) = A^n + B/(1-A) where K is a constant that can be adjusted to get the correct initial value.
bill.connelly
I'm just a neuroscientist, so forgive me if the answer to this question is either obvious, or the answer is that it is impossible, obviously.

Basically, this image should outline the question clearly
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2569/mathsissuefixedyxs.gif
(And Y0 is always 1)Also, I tried just fitting an exponential to the output. For instance, if I set Y0=1, i = 1, k = 1 and D=0.5, then the output is explained by the curve Yn = (1 - 0.7746)*e^(1.693 * t) + 0.7746 so I can't see the relation, between the fit constants constants in the numerical method

Oh, and just in case anyone is confused about the exponential recovery process equation
yn = (y(n-1) * D) + (1 - y(n-1) * D) * (1 - e^(-k*i))
I modeled it after the general equation for exponential recovery
Y = initial value + (asymptote - initial value) * (1 - e^(-k*x))

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your difference equation is of the form y(n) = A*y(n-1) + B, where y(0) = 1.

The solution I get is y(n) = A^n + B/(1-A)

I'm guess the A<1 in your case, since the solution decreases? I have assumed that A is not 1.

But I may have made a mistake. I used the common method of first finding the solution to the homogeneous equation (B=0), and then find a particular solution of the inhomogeneous equation.

Torquil

Okay... and how do your constants of A and B relate to my constants Y0, i, k and D?

Last edited:
A = De^(-k i)

B = 1 - e^(-k i)

Interesting... the seems to match very closely apart from the fact that the initial value is not 1, i.e. when n = 1

bill.connelly said:
Interesting... the seems to match very closely apart from the fact that the initial value is not 1, i.e. when n = 1

The general solution is:

y(n) = K A^n + B/(1-A)

where K is some arbitrary constant that you can adjust to get the correct initial value. Putting n = 1 gives

y(1) = K A + B/(1-A) --->

K = [y(1) - B/(1-A)]/A

Ah, excellent. That is amazing!

How complicated does it get if between events, instead of the process recoverying with a single exponential, it recovery with a bi-exponential

i.e. the equation for the second event would be

Y=Y1*D + (1-Y1*D)*PercentFast*(1-exp(-KFast*i)) + (1-Y1*D)*(1-PercentFast)*(1-exp(-KSlow*i))

Is that too hard to calculate the difference equation for? Is it likely there is another forum that someone might be able to do it?

As far as I can see, this is still of the same form y(n+1) = A*y(n) + B, so the solution is the same, only with other values of A and B. A is everything that multiplies y(n) on the right hand side of your equation, and B is the rest.

Torquil

Related to Converting a problem solved with numerical analysis to a simple exponential

1. How do you convert a problem solved with numerical analysis to a simple exponential?

To convert a problem solved with numerical analysis to a simple exponential, you first need to identify the pattern or relationship between the variables in the problem. Then, you can use that relationship to create an equation in the form of y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the variable. This equation can be solved using exponential functions, rather than numerical methods.

2. Why would you want to convert a problem from numerical analysis to a simple exponential?

Converting a problem from numerical analysis to a simple exponential can make it easier to solve and understand. Exponential functions have well-defined properties and are often simpler to work with than numerical methods. Additionally, exponential functions can provide a more accurate and precise solution to a problem.

3. Can any numerical analysis problem be converted to a simple exponential?

No, not all numerical analysis problems can be converted to a simple exponential. Some problems may have more complex relationships between variables that cannot be simplified into an exponential form. Additionally, some problems may require the use of numerical methods to find an accurate solution.

4. What are the benefits of using exponential functions to solve a problem over numerical methods?

There are a few benefits to using exponential functions to solve a problem over numerical methods. Firstly, exponential functions can provide a more precise and accurate solution. They also have well-defined properties that make them easier to work with and understand. Additionally, exponential functions can often simplify a problem, making it easier to solve.

5. Are there any drawbacks to converting a problem from numerical analysis to a simple exponential?

While converting a problem from numerical analysis to a simple exponential can have many benefits, there are also some potential drawbacks. Some problems may not be able to be simplified into an exponential form, making it impossible to convert. Additionally, converting a problem may require a deeper understanding of exponential functions, which can be more challenging for some individuals.