Converting 2D Finite Element Code to 1D in MATLAB: Experience and Help Needed

In summary, the speaker needs help converting a 2D code to 1D for a simply supported beam using Matlab. They have a code for the 2D beam and need to convert it to 1D, but are unsure how to do so. They have provided attachments and mentioned a stiffness matrix and different boundary conditions and displacement values may be needed. They are hoping for a quick response as they only have a few days left. Another person suggests simply setting the beam depth to 1 and adjusting the load and stresses accordingly. The speaker mentions being new to Matlab and only recently enrolling in a class for it. They also mention needing a code for solving a 2D frame in Matlab.
dede111
I need to convert a 2D code to 1D for a simply supported beam using matlab.
Does anyone have any experience regarding to this?

Physics news on Phys.org
what exactly are you trying to do? I am not too clear...

I have a code for a simply supported beam in 2D which needs to be converted to 1D

More info in the attachments

Attachments

• simply supported beam.jpg
    simply supported beam.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 400
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the main file, dispvalues and boundary conditions of the 2D programs which need to be converted to 1D

The beam has been posted above.

Hoping for a quick reaction, I only have a few days left.

Attachments

• main.m
    2.3 KB · Views: 261
  • boundary.m
    626 bytes · Views: 266
  • dispvalues.m
    1.7 KB · Views: 247
I'm not going to open your files, but why not just use the 2D code, and make the second dimension one?

I don't have any experience using matlab, I just got enrolled in this class, cause I followed other classes at the same time, which are finished now

Well, at some point there should be a file that contains loads and constants, etc. If the code is 2D, which I am really, really assuming that it's quasi-2D, meaning that it treats the second dimension as just a thickness; a constant.

Basically, just set the beam depth, to 1. 1 whatever units you're using. Then, the load gets multiplied by 1, and the stresses get divided by 1. Your answer will be the same as if it were 1D.

At school I heared a stiffness matrix should be inserted and the boundary conditions and dispvalues should be different?

i need a code for solving 2D frame in MATLAB , pleasezzz help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Related to Converting 2D Finite Element Code to 1D in MATLAB: Experience and Help Needed

1. What is the purpose of using finite elements in matlab?

Finite elements in matlab are used to approximate the solutions to complex mathematical problems involving partial differential equations. It allows for the modeling of physical systems and structures, such as buildings and bridges, to analyze their behavior and make predictions.

2. How does matlab handle finite element analysis?

Matlab uses the finite element method (FEM) to solve problems involving partial differential equations. FEM breaks down a complex problem into smaller, simpler elements and uses mathematical techniques to approximate the solution for each element. These solutions are then combined to give an overall approximation of the original problem.

3. Can matlab handle different types of finite elements?

Yes, matlab can handle various types of finite elements such as triangular, quadrilateral, hexahedral, and tetrahedral elements. These elements are used to represent different shapes and geometries in the problem being solved.

4. What are the advantages of using finite elements in matlab?

Some advantages of using finite elements in matlab include its versatility, accuracy, and efficiency. Matlab allows for the easy implementation and manipulation of finite element models, and its powerful computing capabilities provide accurate solutions in a timely manner.

5. Are there any limitations to using finite elements in matlab?

One limitation is that finite elements in matlab can only approximate solutions, which may not be exact. Additionally, as the number of elements in a model increases, the computational time and memory requirements may also increase significantly. This can be challenging for large and complex problems.