Convert vector-field from cylindrical to cartesian

In summary: I don't see this error and my professor didn't see it as an error either when i first handed it in so could you please elaborate a bit more?In summary, the homework statement is that the vector field, which is a magnetic field, has the following equation: H = -\frac{I }{2 \pi r}u\varphi. r is the radius of the circle and u is the unit vector pointing in the direction that the field moves. If ##\theta## is the usual polar coordinate angle, then the unit vector in the ##r## direction is ##\langle \cos\theta, \sin\theta\rangle##. To find the answer to the question,
wellmax

Homework Statement

I have a vector field (which happens to be a magnetic field)
H = -[itex]\frac{I }{2 \pi r}[/itex]u[itex]\varphi[/itex]
u[itex]\varphi[/itex] is the unit vector

which is in the cylindrical coordinate system with only the [itex]\varphi[/itex] component nonzero so it circles around the z-axis. r is the radius of the circle.
the question is: write H in the cartesian coordinate system.

Homework Equations

i already know the answer through common sense but I'm not able to derive it myself:
H = [itex]\frac{-I}{2 \pi \sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex][[itex]\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex]]

The Attempt at a Solution

now I know these relations:
x = r Cos[[itex]\varphi[/itex]]
y = r Sin[[itex]\varphi[/itex]]
r = [itex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]
but i can't produce the answer with these

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If ##\theta## is the usual polar coordinate angle, then the unit vector in the ##r## direction is ##\langle \cos\theta, \sin\theta\rangle##. You want to rotate this vector ##90^\circ## to get a unit vector in the ##\theta## direction. So put ##\varphi = \frac \pi 2 +\theta## to get$$
\hat u_\varphi = \langle \cos(\frac \pi 2 +\theta),\sin(\frac \pi 2 +\theta)\rangle =
\langle \sin\theta,-\cos\theta\rangle = \langle \frac y r,-\frac x r\rangle =
\langle \frac y {\sqrt{x^2+y^2}},-\frac x {\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\rangle$$

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
If ##\theta## is the usual polar coordinate angle, then the unit vector in the ##r## direction is ##\langle \cos\theta, \sin\theta\rangle##. You want to rotate this vector ##90^\circ## to get a unit vector in the ##\theta## direction. So put ##\varphi = \frac \pi 2 +\theta## to get$$
\hat u_\varphi = \langle \cos(\frac \pi 2 +\theta),\sin(\frac \pi 2 +\theta)\rangle =
\langle \sin\theta,-\cos\theta\rangle = \langle \frac y r,-\frac x r\rangle =
\langle \frac y {\sqrt{x^2+y^2}},-\frac x {\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\rangle$$
Thank you very much, this solves my question

wellmax said:
i already know the answer through common sense but I'm not able to derive it myself:
H = [itex]\frac{-I}{2 \pi \sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex][[itex]\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex]]
The righthand side, as you've written it, isn't a vector. Typo? It also looks like you made a sign error. Note that ##\hat{u}_\varphi = (-\sin \phi, \cos \phi,0)##. It points in the direction that ##\vec{r}## moves if you increase ##\varphi## by a small amount.

vela said:
The righthand side, as you've written it, isn't a vector. Typo? It also looks like you made a sign error. Note that ##\hat{u}_\varphi = (-\sin \phi, \cos \phi,0)##. It points in the direction that ##\vec{r}## moves if you increase ##\varphi## by a small amount.

Yes indeed a typo :redface: forgot the unit vectors
and H points in the minus [itex]\varphi[/itex] direction so i think it's alright

If it points in the ##-\hat{u}_\varphi## direction, you have a sign error.

I don't see this error and my professor didn't see it as an error either when i first handed it in so could you please elaborate a bit more?

I'm not sure what's there to elaborate on. Your expression is equal to ##\frac{I}{2\pi r}\hat{u}_\varphi##, not ##-\frac{I}{2\pi r}\hat{u}_\varphi##.

Well I plotted it in Mathematica and I rotates clockwise around the z-axis as expected so I still don't see the error

According to your expression and assuming I>0, when x=y=1, for example, you have H pointing in the -x and +y direction. That's not clockwise.

Then it will point in the +x and -y direction because there is a minus sign in front of the entire vector
H = [itex]\frac{-I}{2[itex]\pi[/itex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex][[itex]\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex]ux + [itex]\frac{-x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex]uy]

Did you actually plug x=y=1 into that expression? Because of the minus sign out front, H points in the -x and +y directions.

Likes 1 person
I see you are right and my professor didn't even notice :biggrin:

Related to Convert vector-field from cylindrical to cartesian

1. What is a vector-field in cylindrical coordinates?

A vector-field in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical representation of a vector quantity, such as force or velocity, in terms of cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z) instead of Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z).

2. Why would someone want to convert a vector-field from cylindrical to cartesian?

Converting a vector-field from cylindrical to cartesian coordinates can make it easier to analyze and visualize the vector quantity. Cartesian coordinates are often more intuitive and easier to work with in many cases.

3. How do you convert a vector-field from cylindrical to cartesian?

To convert a vector-field from cylindrical to cartesian coordinates, you can use the following equations:
x = rcos(θ)
y = rsin(θ)
z = z

4. Are there any limitations to converting a vector-field from cylindrical to cartesian?

Yes, there are some limitations to converting a vector-field from cylindrical to cartesian coordinates. This conversion assumes that the vector quantity is defined in a cylindrical coordinate system and that the transformation is valid for the entire vector-field. It may not accurately represent the vector quantity in certain regions or under certain conditions.

5. Can a vector-field be converted from cartesian to cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, a vector-field can be converted from cartesian to cylindrical coordinates using the reverse of the equations mentioned earlier:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = tan⁻¹(y / x)
z = z