Converging Lens Problem: Finding Distance from Slide for Real and Virtual Images

In summary, in order to determine the distance between the lens and slide when the image is real, we need to use the formula 1/p + 1/q = 1/f, where f is the focal length of the lens and q is the distance between the slide and lens. However, in this case, the given distance of 11.4 cm is the distance between the slide and its image, not the distance between the slide and lens. Therefore, the distance between the lens and slide cannot be determined with the given information. For the virtual image, the same formula can be used, but the distance of the image is negative, resulting in a negative distance between the lens and slide.
nemzy
A transparent photographic slide is placed in front of a converging lens with a focal length of 2.24 cm. The lens forms an image of the slide 11.4 cm from the slide.
(a) How far is the lens from the slide if the image is real?

(b) How far is the lens from the slide if the image is virtual?

I got the wrong answer, and i don't know why.

This is how i attempted part a:

a) focus=2.24 cm
q= 11.4 cm (positive, since the image is real)
1/p + 1/q = 1/f solve for p

b) i did same process except p = -11.4 cm (negative since virtual image)

But yet still got the wrong answer

What am i doing wrong? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
nemzy said:
A transparent photographic slide is placed in front of a converging lens with a focal length of 2.24 cm. The lens forms an image of the slide 11.4 cm from the slide.
(a) How far is the lens from the slide if the image is real?

(b) How far is the lens from the slide if the image is virtual?

I got the wrong answer, and i don't know why.

This is how i attempted part a:

a) focus=2.24 cm
q= 11.4 cm (positive, since the image is real)
1/p + 1/q = 1/f solve for p

q is not 11.4 cm. q should be the distance of the slide from the lens, and 11.4 cm is said to be the distance between the slide and its image.
ehild

It seems that you have the right approach for solving this problem. However, it is possible that you made a mistake in your calculations. Let's go through the steps together to see where the error might have occurred.

First, we need to identify the given values:

- Focal length (f) = 2.24 cm
- Image distance (q) = 11.4 cm
- Object distance (p) = unknown

Next, we can plug these values into the thin lens equation:

1/p + 1/q = 1/f

Solving for p, we get:

1/p = 1/f - 1/q

1/p = 1/2.24 - 1/11.4

1/p = 0.4464 - 0.0877

1/p = 0.3587

p = 1/0.3587

p = 2.79 cm

Therefore, the lens is 2.79 cm away from the slide if the image is real.

For part b, we can use the same equation but with a negative value for q since the image is virtual:

1/p = 1/f - 1/q

1/p = 1/2.24 - 1/-11.4

1/p = 0.4464 + 0.0877

1/p = 0.5341

p = 1/0.5341

p = 1.87 cm

So, the lens is 1.87 cm away from the slide if the image is virtual.

It's possible that you made a mistake in your calculations or accidentally used the wrong values. Double-check your work and see if you can find where the error occurred. Hopefully, this explanation helps you understand the problem better. Good luck!

Related to Converging Lens Problem: Finding Distance from Slide for Real and Virtual Images

1. What is a converging lens?

A converging lens is a type of optical lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. It is also known as a convex lens and has the ability to bring parallel rays of light to a focus, creating an image.

2. How do you find the distance from a slide for real and virtual images?

To find the distance from a slide for real and virtual images, you need to use the thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/di + 1/do, where f is the focal length of the lens, di is the image distance, and do is the object distance. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for either di or do to find the distance from the slide.

3. What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at the image location. This means that the image can be projected onto a screen and can be seen by an observer. On the other hand, a virtual image is formed when light rays only appear to be coming from a specific location, but do not actually converge at that location. These images cannot be projected onto a screen and can only be seen by an observer looking through the lens.

4. How does the distance from the slide affect the image formed by a converging lens?

The distance from the slide affects the size and location of the image formed by a converging lens. If the object distance is greater than the focal length, a real and inverted image will be formed. If the object distance is less than the focal length, a virtual and upright image will be formed. The closer the object is to the lens, the larger the image will be.

5. What are some practical applications of converging lenses?

Converging lenses have a wide range of practical applications, including in telescopes, cameras, and microscopes. They are also used in corrective lenses for individuals with vision problems. In addition, converging lenses are used in scientific research, such as in studying the properties of light and in the development of new technologies.