Convergence of Unique Fourier Series

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Fourier series for the function f(x) = \sqrt{|x|} and proving its convergence. The speaker has already proven that the function is piecewise continuous, but not piecewise smooth. They then provide the Fourier series for the function and attempt to use a theorem to prove its uniform convergence, but are unable to find a suitable convergence test. They ask for advice or knowledge of other theorems that may be helpful in proving the convergence.
josephsuk
Hi, I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if my LaTeX looks messed up.

1. Find the Fourier Series for [tex]f(x) = \sqrt{|x|}[/tex] and prove it converges to [tex]f(x)[/tex] 3. So, I've thus far proved that [tex]\sqrt{|x|}[/tex] is piecewise continuous by proving that the limit as x approaches 0 (from both the right and left) for [tex]f(x) = \sqrt{|x|}[/tex] is equal to 0. However, the function fails to be piecewise smooth because its derivative has a vertical tangent and, thus, most of the convergence theorems that I've learned (such as the Fourier series converging to the average of the right and left limits) are inaccessible.

So, I wrote out the Fourier series myself for the arbitrary interval -a < x < a, getting:

For Fourier coefficients, we get:

[tex]a_0 = \frac{1}{2a}\int_{-a}^a \sqrt{|x|} dx = \frac{2}{3}\sqrt{|x|}[/tex]

[tex]a_n = \frac{2}{a}\int_0^a \sqrt{|x|} \cos{(\frac{n\pi x}{a})}[/tex]

[tex]b_n = 0 [/tex](because the function is even)

The Fourier series becomes

[tex]\sqrt{|x|} \approx \frac{2}{3}\sqrt{|x|} + \frac{2}{a}\sum_{n=1}^\infty \int_0^a \sqrt{|z|}\cos{(\frac{n\pi z}{a})} dz \cos{(\frac{n\pi x}{a})}[/tex]

I tried to use a theorem stating that if the series [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty |a_n| + |b_n| [/tex] converges, then the Fourier series converges uniformly. So, essentially, I must prove
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty |\frac{2}{a}\int_0^a \sqrt{|x|} \cos{(\frac{n\pi x}{a})}|[/tex] converges.

I tried to use an array of traditional convergence tests, but none of them seemed to work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, I'm stuck here and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or knew of any other theorems that might be useful?

Related to Convergence of Unique Fourier Series

1. What is the definition of convergence of a unique Fourier series?

The convergence of a unique Fourier series refers to the property of a series to approach a specific value as the number of terms in the series increases. In other words, as more and more terms are added to the series, the value of the series gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How does the uniqueness of a Fourier series affect its convergence?

The uniqueness of a Fourier series plays a crucial role in its convergence. In order for a Fourier series to converge, it must have a unique representation of the function it is approximating. If there are multiple ways to represent the function, the series may not converge or may converge to a different value.

3. What conditions must be met for a unique Fourier series to converge?

For a unique Fourier series to converge, the function it is approximating must be continuous and piecewise smooth. This means that the function must not have any abrupt changes or sharp corners. Additionally, the function must have a finite number of maxima and minima within each period.

4. How can you determine if a unique Fourier series will converge?

The convergence of a unique Fourier series can be determined by using various convergence tests, such as the Dirichlet test or the Abel-Poisson test. These tests analyze the properties of the function and the coefficients of the series to determine if it will converge. However, in some cases, the convergence of a unique Fourier series may not be guaranteed.

5. Are there any applications of unique Fourier series convergence in real-world problems?

Yes, the convergence of unique Fourier series has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. For example, it can be used to approximate and analyze periodic signals, such as sound waves or electrical signals. It can also be used to solve partial differential equations, which are commonly used in mathematical modeling.