Convergence of Integrals: Exploring Methods and Challenges

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the first integral converges by direct comparison with $xe^{-x}$ and the second integral converges by showing the series $\sum (-1)^n a_n$ and $\sum (-1)^n b_n$ converge using the alternating series test. This is done by proving $\lim\limits_{n\to \infty} a_n = 0$ and $\lim\limits_{n\to \infty} b_n = 0$, which is shown by splitting the integrals into two parts and using the monotone convergence theorem.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to check if the following integrals converge or not.

1. $\int_0^{\infty}e^{-x}\log (1+x)dx$
  2. $\int_0^{\infty}\sqrt{x}\cos (x^2)dx$
Do we have to calculate these integrals or do we have to use for example Direct comparison test? (Wondering)

For the second one I tried for example $|\sqrt{x}\cos(x^2)|\leq \sqrt{x}$. But then the integral of $\sqrt{x}$ diverges, so this is not useful, right? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mathmari,

One need not to compute the integrals to check for convergence. For the first integral, since $\log(1 + x) \le x$ for all $x \ge 0$, then the integrand is dominated by $xe^{-x}$, which has a convergent integral: $\int_0^\infty xe^{-x}\, dx = 1$. So by direct comparison with $xe^{-x}$, the first integral converges.

The second integral actually converges. Its value is $0.5\sin(\pi/8)\,\Gamma(3/4)$ by contour integration. Like I've said, you don't need to compute the integral. Since the integrand alternates sign, the direct comparison test will not be applicable. First, by the $u$-substitution $u = x^2$, we write $\int_0^\infty \sqrt{x} \cos(x^2)\, dx = \int_0^\infty u^{-1/2}\cos u\, du$. for each integer $n \ge 0$, $\int_{n\pi}^{(n+1)\pi} u^{-1/2}\cos u\, du = (-1)^n\int_0^{\pi} (v + n\pi)^{-1/2}\cos(v)\, dv$ using the sub $v = u - n\pi$ and the identity $\cos(v + n\pi) = (-1)^n\cos v$. So it suffices to show that the series

$$\sum_{n = 0}^\infty (-1)^n \int_0^\pi (v + n\pi)^{-1/2}\cos v\, dv$$

converges. Note the integrals in the above series are nonnegative and decreasing in $n$. So if you can prove

$$\lim_{n\to \infty} \int_0^\pi (v + n\pi)^{-1/2}\cos v\, dv = 0$$

then you can claim by the alternating series test that the series converges (and hence the original $\int_0^\infty u^{-1/2}\cos u\, du$ converges).

Euge said:
One need not to compute the integrals to check for convergence. For the first integral, since $\log(1 + x) \le x$ for all $x \ge 0$, then the integrand is dominated by $xe^{-x}$, which has a convergent integral: $\int_0^\infty xe^{-x}\, dx = 1$. So by direct comparison with $xe^{-x}$, the first integral converges.

I understand! (Happy)
Euge said:
First, by the $u$-substitution $u = x^2$, we write $\int_0^\infty \sqrt{x} \cos(x^2)\, dx = \int_0^\infty u^{-1/2}\cos u\, du$. for each integer $n \ge 0$, $\int_{n\pi}^{(n+1)\pi} u^{-1/2}\cos u\, du = (-1)^n\int_0^{\pi} (v + n\pi)^{-1/2}\cos(v)\, dv$ using the sub $v = u - n\pi$ and the identity $\cos(v + n\pi) = (-1)^n\cos v$. So it suffices to show that the series

$$\sum_{n = 0}^\infty (-1)^n \int_0^\pi (v + n\pi)^{-1/2}\cos v\, dv$$

converges. Note the integrals in the above series are nonnegative and decreasing in $n$. So if you can prove

then you can claim by the alternating series test that the series converges (and hence the original $\int_0^\infty u^{-1/2}\cos u\, du$ converges).

When we substitute $u=x^2$ we have that $du=2xdx \Rightarrow du=2\sqrt{x}\sqrt{x}dx$.
Since $u^{\frac{1}{4}}=\sqrt{x}$, we have that $\frac{1}{2u^{\frac{1}{4}}}du=\sqrt{x}dx$.
Therefore, $$\int_0^{\infty}\sqrt{x}\cos (x^2)dx=\int_0^{\infty}\frac{1}{2u^{\frac{1}{4}}}\cos (u)du=\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{\infty}u^{-\frac{1}{4}}\cos (u)du$$

How do we get $\int_0^\infty u^{-1/2}\cos u\, du$ ? What have I done wrong? (Wondering)

Euge said:
Note the integrals in the above series are nonnegative and decreasing in $n$. So if you can prove

How do we know that the integrals in the above series are nonnegative and decreasing in $n$ ? (Wondering)

Could you give me a hint how we could prove that $\lim_{n\to \infty} \int_0^\pi (v + n\pi)^{-1/2}\cos v\, dv = 0$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
When we substitute $u=x^2$ we have that $du=2xdx \Rightarrow du=2\sqrt{x}\sqrt{x}dx$.
Since $u^{\frac{1}{4}}=\sqrt{x}$, we have that $\frac{1}{2u^{\frac{1}{4}}}du=\sqrt{x}dx$.
Therefore, $$\int_0^{\infty}\sqrt{x}\cos (x^2)dx=\int_0^{\infty}\frac{1}{2u^{\frac{1}{4}}}\cos (u)du=\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{\infty}u^{-\frac{1}{4}}\cos (u)du$$

How do we get $\int_0^\infty u^{-1/2}\cos u\, du$ ? What have I done wrong? (Wondering)

Yes, you're correct. Sorry, it was late when I posted. So the integrals in the series I wrote should instead be $\int_0^\infty (v + n\pi)^{-1/4}\cos v\, dv$ (the factor of $1/2$ can be put outside the summation sign).

Now write

$$\int_0^\pi (v + n\pi)^{-1/4}\cos v\, dv = \int_0^{\pi/2} (v + n\pi)^{-1/4}\cos v\, dv + \int_{\pi/2}^\pi (v + n\pi)^{-1/4}\cos v\, dv$$

and note

$$\int_{\pi/2}^\pi (v + n\pi)^{-1/4}\cos v\, dv = -\int_0^{\pi/2} (v + \frac{\pi}{2} + n\pi)^{-1/4}\sin v\, dv$$

The series of interest is then $0.5 \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty (-1)^n a_n - 0.5\sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty (-1)^n b_n$, where

$$a_n = \int_0^{\pi/2} (v + n\pi)^{-1/4}\cos v\, dv \quad \text{and}\quad b_n = \int_0^{\pi/2} (v + \frac{\pi}{2} + n\pi)^{-1/4} \sin v\, dv$$

Since the sine and cosine are nonnegative in the interval $[0,\pi/2]$, both $a_n$ and $b_n$ are nonnegative and monotone decreasing. So it suffices to prove $\lim\limits_{n\to \infty} a_n = 0 = \lim\limits_{n\to \infty} b_n$. For then, you can claim convergence of the series $\sum (-1)^n a_n$ and $\sum (-1)^n b_n$ by the alternating series test, and hence the convergence of the difference $0.5\sum (-1)^n a_n - 0.5\sum (-1)^n b_n$.

Euge said:
Since the sine and cosine are nonnegative in the interval $[0,\pi/2]$, both $a_n$ and $b_n$ are nonnegative and monotone decreasing.

Do we have that $a_n$ and $b_n$ are monotone decreasing because $n$ is in the denominator? (Wondering)

Basically, yes.

Ah ok! I understood it! (Happy)

Could we also show the convergence using the direct comparison for the integral $\int_0^\infty u^{-1/2}\cos u\, du$ ? But which inequality could we use here? (Wondering)

Direct comparison requires the integrand to not change sign, right? The cosine changes sign over $[0,\infty)$, so direct comparison will not do with that integral.

Euge said:
Direct comparison requires the integrand to not change sign, right? The cosine changes sign over $[0,\infty)$, so direct comparison will not do with that integral.

Ah ok. So, the only way is the alternating series test, isn't it? (Wondering)

But at my other post http://mathhelpboards.com/analysis-50/convergence-integrals-20731.html#post94229 at the integral 2. I use the direct comparison test although we have the cosine. So, is this wrong? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you were missing my point. In your other post, the cosine is multiplied by a damping function, making the integral absolutely convergent. Since $\int_0^\infty u^{-1/2}\cos u\, du $ is not absolutely convergent, but conditionally convergent, you'll have problems finding an upper and lower bound, for which both integrals converge.

Euge said:
I think you were missing my point. In your other post, the cosine is multiplied by a damping function, making the integral absolutely convergent. Since $\int_0^\infty u^{-1/2}\cos u\, du $ is not absolutely convergent, but conditionally convergent, you'll have problems finding an upper and lower bound, for which both integrals converge.

I see. Thank you very much! (Smile)

Related to Convergence of Integrals: Exploring Methods and Challenges

1. What does it mean for an integral to converge?

Convergence of an integral means that the value of the integral approaches a finite limit as the interval of integration becomes larger.

2. How can I determine if an integral converges?

There are various methods for determining the convergence of an integral, such as the comparison test, limit comparison test, and the integral test. These methods involve evaluating the integral or comparing it to a known convergent or divergent integral.

3. What happens if an integral does not converge?

If an integral does not converge, it means that the value of the integral does not approach a finite limit and may either approach infinity or oscillate between positive and negative values as the interval of integration becomes larger.

4. Can an integral converge for some values and diverge for others?

Yes, an integral can converge for some values of the variable and diverge for others. This is known as conditional convergence.

5. Are there any real-world applications for determining the convergence of integrals?

Yes, the concept of convergence of integrals is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It is used to model and solve problems involving continuous quantities, such as velocity, acceleration, and area under a curve.