Convergence of Improper Integral and Series with Logarithmic Functions

In summary: Thanks again!In summary, the conversation discusses a problem divided into two sections: determining whether an improper integral and series converge or diverge. The individual attempts at solving the problem using integration by parts and the integral series test lead to conflicting results. It is eventually discovered that the incorrect dv was used in the integration, leading to the incorrect answer.
cal.queen92

Homework Statement

The problem is divided into two sections:

a) does the improper integral: 2ln(x)/x^7 (from 1 to infinity) Converge or diverge? If it converges, to what value?

b) Determine whether the series: sigma n=1 to infinity (2ln(n)/n^7) converges or diverges.

Homework Equations

Integration by parts?

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part, I made the limit as c--> infinity, and took out the 2, then I simply integrated by parts where:

u = ln(x) du= 1/x dx dv= x^7 dx v = (x^8)/8

and ended up with: I = 1/4 lim c--> inf (x^8*ln(x) + (x^8)/8) from 1 to c

When I work it out, I get it Diverges, as the end result is infinity... But it's supposed to converge...

As for the second part, I assumed that they were similar where I could use the integral series test (ending up with the same result as the first part) to get the answer, but again, the answer lead to convergence...

Am I using the correct techniques?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
cal.queen92 said:
... The problem is divided into two sections:

a) does the improper integral: 2ln(x)/x^7 (from 1 to infinity) converge or diverge? If it converges, to what value?

For the first part, I made the limit as c--> infinity, and took out the 2, then I simply integrated by parts where:

u = ln(x) du= 1/x dx dv= x^7 dx v = (x^8)/8

and ended up with: I = 1/4 lim c--> inf (x^8*ln(x) + (x^8)/8) from 1 to c

When I work it out, I get it Diverges, as the end result is infinity... But it's supposed to converge...As for the second part, I assumed that they were similar where I could use the integral series test (ending up with the same result as the first part) to get the answer, but again, the answer lead to convergence...

Am I using the correct techniques?

Thanks!
How did you integrate 2ln(x)/x7 ? That's the same as 2(x-7)ln(x)

I would expect the anti-derivative to have x-6 in it, not x8 !

Thank you! That was it, didn't take the proper dv -- took x^7 as oppose to 1/x^7 giving x^-7.

Perfect!

Related to Convergence of Improper Integral and Series with Logarithmic Functions

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral, also known as an antiderivative, is a mathematical operation used to find the most general function that has a given function as its derivative. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is represented by the symbol ∫.

2. What is a series in terms of calculus?

In calculus, a series is a sequence of terms that are added together in a specific order. It is typically used to represent a particular function, which can then be manipulated and analyzed using various mathematical techniques.

3. How is an indefinite integral different from a definite integral?

An indefinite integral has no specified upper and lower limits, while a definite integral has specific values for the upper and lower limits. This means that an indefinite integral yields a general function, while a definite integral gives a specific numerical value.

4. What is the relationship between derivatives and indefinite integrals?

The relationship between derivatives and indefinite integrals is that the derivative of a function is equal to the indefinite integral of that function. In other words, differentiation and integration are inverse operations of each other.

5. Can indefinite integrals and series be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, indefinite integrals and series can be used to solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are powerful tools for modeling and understanding various phenomena and can be applied to a wide range of practical applications.