Convergence of Factorial Series: Investigating the Radius of Convergence

• Thread starter lmannoia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary, the ratio test is used to determine the radius of convergence of a series, and in this case, it yields a limit of 1/e, resulting in a radius of convergence of e.
lmannoia

Homework Statement

The radius of convergence of the sum (from n=1 to infinity) of n!x^n /n^n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I ask way too many calculus questions on here..
This is everything I've done, written really badly..

Ratio test:
(n+1)!xn+1/(n+1)n+1 times nn/(n!)xn
Once I simplify it all, I get down to nn/(n+1)n
Does the limit approach infinity then? Did I make a mistake doing the ratio test?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right that the ratio test yields

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\frac{n^n}{(n+1)^n}}[/tex]

So you need to calculate this limit. To do this, write [tex](n+1)^n=n^n(1+1/n)^n[/tex]. You should see a famous limit popping up...

So the limit is 1/e, making the radius of convergence e then?

Yes, I believe that is correct.

micromass said:
You are right that the ratio test yields

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\frac{n^n}{(n+1)^n}}[/tex]

So you need to calculate this limit. To do this, write [tex](n+1)^n=n^n(1+1/n)^n[/tex]. You should see a famous limit popping up...

hmm.. i think he've missed out his [tex]x[/tex] didnt he?

I never write the x :smile: I guess you could do it either way...

Related to Convergence of Factorial Series: Investigating the Radius of Convergence

1. What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept used in calculus and complex analysis. It represents the distance from the center of a power series to the point where the series converges. In other words, it is the maximum value of x for which the series converges.

2. How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence is typically calculated using the ratio test or the root test. These tests help determine whether a series converges or diverges, and if it converges, the radius of convergence can be found by evaluating the limit of the ratio or root of the terms in the series.

3. What is the significance of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is important because it determines the region of convergence for a power series. If a value of x is within the radius of convergence, the series will converge. If a value is outside the radius, the series will diverge.

4. Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence cannot be negative. It represents a distance and therefore must be a positive value. However, it is possible for the radius to be equal to zero, in which case the series will only converge at the center point.

5. How is the radius of convergence used in real-world applications?

The radius of convergence is used in many areas of mathematics and science, including engineering, physics, and economics. It is especially useful in approximating functions and solving differential equations. In real-world applications, the radius of convergence helps determine the accuracy and limitations of a series or model.