Convergence of a Complex Series

In summary, the following series converge:-The series with the geometric sum: 3*8^k*3^{-2k}-The series with the p-series: ({\frac{8}{9}})^k *3-The series with the alternating series: x^{n-1}*x^{n-2}
Draconifors

Homework Statement

"Determine whether the following series converge or diverge. If the series is geometric or telescoping, find its sum.":

## \left ( \sum_{k=1}^\infty2^{3k} *3^{1-2k} \right)##

Homework Equations

[/B]
The different tests for convergence?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I've looked at all the tests for convergence I know, and as far as I've been able to tell, none of them can work with this? Here's a quick outline about each of the tests and why I don't think I can use it.

Divergence Test: I have to say I can't even do the limit of this. It just gives me ##2^{infinity}*3^{1-infinity}##, no?
Geometric series: I don't have only one exponent, so I can't do this. Neither of the exponents looks like ##(n-1)## so I don't know.
Telescoping series: There's nothing that cancels out. I also can't take the limit.
p-Series: It's not in the form ##{\frac {1} {p}}##.
Alternating series: It doesn't have a ##-1^n## term.
Integral test: ##\int 2^{3k} *3^{1-2k} \, dx## . I can't integrate this because of the ##k## being a power.
Root test: While both are raised to a power of ##k##, I don't think I can apply the root test because of the ##1-2k##.
Ratio test: This is usually my go to, and I thought it would work. However, I get ##\frac {1} {9}## and then the ##3^{1-2k}## just stays there.
Comparison test: Even if I wanted to use the limit or direct comparison, I wouldn't even know what to compare it with.

The solutions tell me it's supposed to converge to 24 and to use the geometric test. However, I really don't see how the geometric test is supposed to apply.

Thanks for your time, and I hope I did everything right in posting this!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is simpler than what you're trying. Go back to the expression under the sum and try to see if you can put it in a simpler form first. Use the relations you know about exponents and multiplication, such as ## x^{nk}=(x^n)^k ##, or ## x^{p+q}=x^px^q ##, etc.

Likes Draconifors
wabbit said:
This is simpler than what you're trying. Go back to the expression under the sum and try to see if you can put it in a simpler form first. Use the relations you know about exponents and multiplication, such as ## x^{nk}=(x^n)^k ##, or ## x^{p+q}=x^px^q ##, etc.

Ooh, that helped!
Ok, so doing that I get ##(2^3)^k*3^1*3^{-2k}##. That becomes ##3*8^k*3^{-2k}##. I can see where the 24 is supposed to come from: 3*8. I just can't get it to simplify to that.
I rearrange the expression so it's ##\frac{3*8^k}{3^{2k}}## and then that becomes ##({\frac{8}{9}})^k *3## If the summation started at k=0, I would see that this is a geometric sum with a = 3, r = 8/9. However, the summation starts at k=1, so shouldn't I have ##n-1## as an exponent?

Last edited:
Yep, you got it - about the starting point ## k=1 ## , you just need to be careful when determining the actual sum, using things like ## \sum_{k\geq 1}a_k=(\sum_{k\geq 0}a_k)-a_0 ##, or in your case using ## a^k=a\cdot a^{k-1} ## : while your series may not be exactly the standard geometric sum, you can express in terms of that.

Likes Draconifors
Draconifors said:
Ooh, that helped!
Ok, so doing that I get ##(2^3)^k*3^1*3^{-2k}##. That becomes ##3*8^k*3^{-2k}##. I can see where the 24 is supposed to come from: 3*8. I just can't get it to simplify to that.
I rearrange the expression so it's ##\frac{3*8^k}{3^{2k}}## and then that becomes ##({\frac{8}{9}})^k *3## If the summation started at k=0, I would see that this is a geometric sum with a = 3, r = 8/9. However, the summation starts at k=1, so shouldn't I have ##n-1## as an exponent?
Either change the exponent or subtract off the "k= 0" term.

Likes Draconifors
Alright, thank you very much to the two of you, this really helped me out!

Have a great day! :smile:

Related to Convergence of a Complex Series

1. What is the purpose of testing convergence of series?

The purpose of testing convergence of series is to determine whether a given infinite series converges or diverges. This is important in mathematics and science as it allows us to understand the behavior of these series and make predictions based on their convergence or divergence.

2. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is one in which the sum of all its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. In contrast, a divergent series is one in which the sum of its terms either approaches infinity or does not converge to a finite value.

3. What are some common tests for convergence of series?

Some common tests for convergence of series include the comparison test, ratio test, root test, integral test, and alternating series test. Each of these tests has its own criteria for determining convergence or divergence and can be used to evaluate different types of series.

4. Can a series converge and diverge at the same time?

No, a series cannot converge and diverge at the same time. A series can either converge or diverge, but not both. If a series satisfies the criteria for convergence, it is considered convergent, and if it does not satisfy the criteria, it is considered divergent.

5. How do you know when to stop testing for convergence?

There is no set rule for when to stop testing for convergence, as it depends on the specific series and the criteria being used. However, in general, if a series satisfies the criteria for convergence, it is safe to stop testing and conclude that the series converges. If the series does not satisfy the criteria, further testing may be necessary to determine its convergence or divergence.