Convergence / Divergence of a series

In summary: So the original limit is zero, and the series converges by the ratio test. In summary, the series ##∑\frac{n^5}{n^n}## converges using the ratio test.
goraemon

Homework Statement

Does the following series converge or diverge? ##∑\frac{n^5}{n^n}## (as n begins from 1 and approaches infinity)

Homework Equations

Ratio test?

The Attempt at a Solution

For your reference, thus far I have learned about the geometric series, the limit test, comparison test, a bit about cauchy condensation test, and the ratio test. Thanks for your time.

I tried using the ratio test for this one and ended up getting the following:

##\frac{(n+1)^5}{(n+1)^{n+1}}*\frac{n^n}{n^5}=\frac{n^{n-5}}{(n+1)^{n-4}}=(\frac{n}{n+1})^{n-5}*\frac{1}{n+1}##

(as n approaches infinity)

I'd like to find out if my work is on the right track so far. It certainly seems that the above limit is zero, in which case the original series converges via the ratio test.

Also, please let me know if a different strategy other than the ratio test would've worked out better. Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
goraemon said:

Homework Statement

Does the following series converge or diverge? ##∑\frac{n^5}{n^n}## (as n begins from 1 and approaches infinity)

Homework Equations

Ratio test?

For your reference, thus far I have learned about the geometric series, the limit test, comparison test, a bit about cauchy condensation test, and the ratio test. Thanks for your time.

##\frac{(n+1)^5}{(n+1)^{n+1}}*\frac{n^n}{n^5}=\frac{n^{n-5}}{(n+1)^{n-4}}=(\frac{n}{n+1})^{n-5}*\frac{1}{n+1}##

I'd like to find out if my work is on the right track so far. It certainly seems that the above limit is zero, in which case the original series converges via the ratio test.

Also, please let me know if a different strategy other than the ratio test would've worked out better. Thanks for your time.

I would use the ratio test. And that looks fine. But you should show why that limit is zero. Saying "seems that it does" probably isn't good enough.

I would use the comparison test: your general term [itex]\frac{n^5}{n^n}=\frac{1}{n^{n-5}}<\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex], (for sufficiently large n) a general term whose series is convergent.

Maybe I'm giving too much help here, pm me if you think so and I'll erase it...

Last edited:
Likes 2 people
Dick said:
I would use the ratio test. And that looks fine. But you should show why that limit is zero. Saying "seems that it does" probably isn't good enough.

Ok right...so clearly ##\frac{1}{n+1}## approaches zero as n approaches infinity...which leaves the other part of the equation:

##(\frac{n}{n+1})^{n-5}##

I'm not sure how to find the limit of this equation as n approaches infinity...since the fraction part of it (without the exponent) approaches 1, does it mean the limit is just 1 as well?

In which case the limit of the whole thing would be 1 * 0 = 0?

benorin said:
I would use the comparison test: your general term [itex]\frac{n^5}{n^n}=\frac{1}{n^{n-5}}<\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex], (for sufficiently large n) a general term whose series is convergent.

Maybe I'm giving too much help here, pm me if you think so and I'll erase it...

Thanks for this! Sometimes I fail to see the forest for the trees...

goraemon said:
Ok right...so clearly ##\frac{1}{n+1}## approaches zero as n approaches infinity...which leaves the other part of the equation:

##(\frac{n}{n+1})^{n-5}##

I'm not sure how to find the limit of this equation as n approaches infinity...since the fraction part of it (without the exponent) approaches 1, does it mean the limit is just 1 as well?

In which case the limit of the whole thing would be 1 * 0 = 0?

No, that limit isn't zero. The limit has the form ##1^\infty##. That indeterminant. You can either take the log and use l'Hopital on it, or you could write it in terms of a limit you might recognize (1+1/n)^n. What's the value of that?

goraemon said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Ratio test?

Even easier: let ##t_n = n^5/n^n##, so ##L_n \equiv \ln(t_n) = 5 \ln(n) - n \ln(n)##. For ##n > 7## we have ##L_n < -2 \ln(n)##, hence ##t_n < \exp(-2 \ln(n)) = 1/n^2##, so ##t_n## converges, by the comparison test.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
No, that limit isn't zero. The limit has the form ##1^\infty##. That indeterminant. You can either take the log and use l'Hopital on it, or you could write it in terms of a limit you might recognize (1+1/n)^n. What's the value of that?

OK wait, the value of (1+1/n)^n is the definition of ##e##, I think? Which means...
##(\frac{n}{n+1})^{n-5}=\frac{1}{e}## as n goes to infinity?

So then, continuing from the original post...
##Lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}[(\frac{n}{n+1})^{n-5}*\frac{1}{n+1}]## becomes ##\frac{1}{e}*0=0##?

goraemon said:
OK wait, the value of (1+1/n)^n is the definition of ##e##, I think? Which means...
##(\frac{n}{n+1})^{n-5}=\frac{1}{e}## as n goes to infinity?

So then, continuing from the original post...
##Lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}[(\frac{n}{n+1})^{n-5}*\frac{1}{n+1}]## becomes ##\frac{1}{e}*0=0##?

Yes, that's it.

Likes 1 person

Related to Convergence / Divergence of a series

1. What is the definition of convergence and divergence of a series?

The convergence or divergence of a series refers to whether the sum of its terms approaches a finite number (converges) or approaches infinity (diverges) as the number of terms increases.

2. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the comparison test, ratio test, and root test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the series' terms and their relationship to a known convergent or divergent series.

3. Can a series converge and diverge at the same time?

No, a series can only either converge or diverge, not both. However, there are cases where a series may appear to be converging and then suddenly diverges, known as conditional convergence.

4. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series where the sum of its terms is always convergent, regardless of the order in which the terms are added. Conditional convergence refers to a series where the sum of its terms is only convergent if the terms are added in a specific order.

5. Why is it important to determine the convergence or divergence of a series?

Determining the convergence or divergence of a series is important in various mathematical and scientific applications. It allows us to understand the behavior of a series and make predictions about its sum, which can be useful in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics.