Controllability of non-linear systems via Lie Brackets

Your name]In summary, the controllability matrix is used to determine whether a system is controllable and can be driven from any initial state to any desired state in finite time using a control input. The correct way to span C for a system with two control inputs is to include all possible combinations of these inputs in the controllability matrix. This means that the controllability matrix for the system given in the conversation should be: $$C=[g_1,g_2,g'_1,g'_2,[g_1,g_2],[g'_1,g'_2],[f_1,g_1],[f_1,g_2],[f_2,g_1],[f_2,g_2],[g_1
phys_student1
In http://www.me.berkeley.edu/ME237/6_cont_obs.pdf , page 65, the controllability matrix is defined as:
$$C=[g_1, g_m,\dots,[g_i,g_j],[ad_{g_i}^k,g_j],\dots,[f,g_i],\dots,[ad_f^k,g_i],\dots]$$
where the systems is in general given by
$$\dot{x}=f(x)+\sum_i^m{g_i(x)\mu_i}$$
Lets say you have a system given by
$$[\dot{x}_1,\dot{x}_2]^T=[f_1, f_2]^T[x_1,x_2]^T+[g_1,g_2]^T\mu_1+[g'_1,g'_2]^T\mu_2$$
How will I span C? It seems that different sources have different definitions. Is the what I write below correct?
$$C=[g_1,g_2,g'_1,g'_2,[g_1,g_2],[g'_1,g'_2],[f_1,g_1],[f_1,g_2],[f_2,g_1],[f_2,g_2]]$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The definition of the controllability matrix given in the paper you referenced is correct. However, the way you have spanned C for your specific system is not entirely correct.

The controllability matrix is used to determine whether a system is controllable, i.e. can be driven from any initial state to any desired state in finite time using a control input. In order to span C, you need to consider all possible combinations of the control inputs $\mu_i$. In your case, you have two control inputs, $\mu_1$ and $\mu_2$, so you need to include all possible combinations of these two inputs in C. This means that your controllability matrix should be:

$$C=[g_1,g_2,g'_1,g'_2,[g_1,g_2],[g'_1,g'_2],[f_1,g_1],[f_1,g_2],[f_2,g_1],[f_2,g_2],[g_1,\mu_1],[g_1,\mu_2],[g_2,\mu_1],[g_2,\mu_2],[g'_1,\mu_1],[g'_1,\mu_2],[g'_2,\mu_1],[g'_2,\mu_2]]$$

This includes all possible combinations of the control inputs and will give you the correct controllability matrix for your system.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Controllability of non-linear systems via Lie Brackets

1. What is the significance of Lie Brackets in the controllability of non-linear systems?

The concept of Lie Brackets is crucial in determining the controllability of non-linear systems. It helps in analyzing the interaction between different control inputs and their effect on the system's behavior.

2. How are Lie Brackets used to test for controllability?

Lie Brackets are used to form a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for controllability of non-linear systems. By computing the Lie Brackets of the system's vector fields, one can determine whether the system is controllable or not.

3. Can Lie Brackets be used for any type of non-linear system?

Yes, Lie Brackets can be used for any type of non-linear system, including time-varying systems and systems with state constraints. It is a versatile tool for analyzing the controllability of non-linear systems.

4. Are there any limitations to using Lie Brackets for testing controllability?

Lie Brackets can only determine the controllability of non-linear systems at a single point in time. It does not take into account the dynamics of the system over time, which may affect the system's controllability.

5. How can the results of Lie Brackets be used in practical applications?

The results of Lie Brackets can be used to design control strategies for non-linear systems, ensuring that the system is controllable. It can also be used to determine the minimum number of control inputs needed to fully control the system.