Contraction of a static fluid due to cooling

In summary, the conversation revolves around modeling a compensation device in a hydraulic system and the effects of thermal expansion on pressure. The person is looking for literature or pointers on understanding the dynamics of contraction and its impact on pressure in a closed pipe containing liquid. A helpful resource suggested is the Engineering Toolbox website, specifically the section on volumetric temperature expansion.
chaoticfarmin
Hi,

I'm trying to model a compensation device in a hydraulic system. Basically, I have a closed pipe that contains a body of liquid (water glycol) and as time elapses this fluid is subject to a cooling effect. This results in contraction and hence a pressure decrease which is subsequently compensated for by the injection of additional fluid.

What I'm struggling to understand are the exact dynamics of contraction and how this affects the pressure (for example, does a vacuum form etc.?).

If anybody can impart some pointers/direct me to some good literature then I would be extremely grateful!

Cheers if you can help.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Contraction of a static fluid due to cooling

1. What is meant by "contraction of a static fluid due to cooling"?

Contraction of a static fluid due to cooling refers to the decrease in volume or density of a fluid when it is subjected to a decrease in temperature. This phenomenon is a result of the decrease in molecular motion and increase in intermolecular forces as a fluid cools.

2. Why does a fluid contract when it cools?

When a fluid is heated, its molecules gain energy and move more vigorously, causing the fluid to expand. On the other hand, when a fluid is cooled, the molecules lose energy and move less, resulting in a decrease in volume and density of the fluid.

3. How does the contraction of a fluid affect its pressure?

As a fluid contracts due to cooling, its molecules become more tightly packed and closer together. This results in an increase in pressure, as there is more force per unit area exerted by the molecules on the walls of the container.

4. Is the contraction of a static fluid due to cooling a reversible process?

Yes, the contraction of a static fluid due to cooling is a reversible process. When the fluid is heated again, its molecules gain energy and move more, causing the fluid to expand and return to its original volume and density.

5. How is the contraction of a static fluid due to cooling related to the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are all interrelated. As a fluid cools, its volume decreases, leading to a decrease in temperature and an increase in pressure, in accordance with the ideal gas law.