Contour Integration: Calculating the Integral of $1/z$ with Residue Formula

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fermat1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: I am still unsure about the multiple of 2pi difference mentioned in Wikipedia."In summary, the conversation was about calculating the integral of $1/z$ around a given contour in the complex plane. The function $f=1/z$ has a simple pole at $z=0$ with residue 1. It was discussed that the winding number of the contour must be calculated in order to use the residue formula. Various paths were proposed and it was determined that any path in the left half-plane would result in the same value for the integral. The use of Cauchy's residue formula was also mentioned. There was some confusion about the use of logarithm laws and the possibility of a multiple
Fermat1
Calculate the integral of $1/z$ around $C$, where $C$ is any contour going from $-\sqrt{3}+i$ to $-\sqrt{3}-i$ and is contained in the set of complex numbers whose real part is negative.

My answer: Let $f=1/z$ Then $f$ has a simple pole at $z=0$ with residue 1. How do I calculate the winding number so I can use the residue formula?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Fermat said:
Calculate the integral of $1/z$ around $C$, where $C$ is any contour going from $-\sqrt{3}+i$ to $-\sqrt{3}-i$ and is contained in the set of complex numbers whose real part is negative.

My answer: Let $f=1/z$ Then $f$ has a simple pole at $z=0$ with residue 1. How do I calculate the winding number so I can use the residue formula?

Thanks

Choose any contour that doesn't include z = 0. Maybe the semicircle to the left of these points centred at $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( -\sqrt{3} , 0 \right) \end{align*}$.

Prove It said:
Choose any contour that doesn't include z = 0. Maybe the semicircle to the left of these points centred at $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( -\sqrt{3} , 0 \right) \end{align*}$.

So the value depends on whether the contour encloses zero?

Fermat said:
So the value depends on whether the contour encloses zero?

The contour CAN'T enclose z = 0 + 0i, surely you can see its real part is NOT negative.

So yes, the value of the integral will change if your contour contains this point. But you are told specifically to NOT include it.

Prove It said:
The contour CAN'T enclose z = 0 + 0i, surely you can see its real part is NOT negative.

So yes, the value of the integral will change if your contour contains this point. But you are told specifically to NOT include it.

ok sorry, I was a bit thrown by you saying to choose a contour. So in fact the integral is zero?

Fermat said:

Thanks

Any path that leaves to the left point z = 0 is valid, so that you can choose a straight path. Setting $\displaystyle z= -\sqrt{3} + i\ t$ You have...

$\displaystyle \int_{C} \frac{d z}{z} = \int_{1}^{-1} \frac{d t}{- \sqrt{3} + i\ t} = i \ln \frac{\sqrt{3}- i}{\sqrt{3} + i}\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Any path that leaves to the left point z = 0 is valid, so that you can choose a straight path. Setting $\displaystyle z= -\sqrt{3} + i\ t$ You have...

$\displaystyle \int_{C} \frac{d z}{z} = \int_{1}^{-1} \frac{d t}{- \sqrt{3} + i\ t} = i \ln \frac{\sqrt{3}- i}{\sqrt{3} + i}\ (1)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I wanted to use cauchy's residue formula.

Fermat said:

How can a contour that doesn't have any singular points in it possibly give any residue?

Fermat said:

The basic concept is well understood observing the figure...View attachment 2771

It is required to compute the integral $\displaystyle \int_{A B} \frac{d z}{z}$ along a path located entirely in the left half-plane. Two possible paths are AB and ACB. But f(z) is analytic inside the triangle ABC so that is $\displaystyle \int_{A B C A} \frac{d z}{z} = 0$ and that means that the integral computed along the paths AB and ACB are the same, i.e. the value of the integral doesn't depend from the path if it located entirely in the left half plane. The most comfortable path is of course the straigh line AB...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Attachments

• MHB11.png
    MHB11.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 57
chisigma said:

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

you should have factored in $z'=i$. So I get $ln(-{\sqrt{3}}-i)-ln(-{\sqrt{3}}+i)$. Can I use log laws even though its complex log? Cheers

Fermat said:
you should have factored in $z'=i$. So I get $ln(-{\sqrt{3}}-i)-ln(-{\sqrt{3}}+i)$. Can I use log laws even though its complex log? Cheers

Yes, You can! (Happy) ...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Yes, You can! (Happy) ...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

So you admit you made a mistake? Regarding the subtraction law, Wikipedia says they may differ by a multiple of 2pi

Fermat said:
So you admit you made a mistake?...

Perhaps a more diplomatic approach would be:

"Was I correct in needing to factor in $i$?"

Fermat said:
So you admit you made a mistake? Regarding the subtraction law, Wikipedia says they may differ by a multiple of 2pi
View attachment 2772

If Wikipedia says so ... what can we do as humans? (Tmi)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Attachments

• For Fermat.png
    For Fermat.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 51

Related to Contour Integration: Calculating the Integral of $1/z$ with Residue Formula

1. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals along a specific path, or contour, in the complex plane. It is often used in the field of complex analysis to calculate integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods.

2. Why is contour integration useful?

Contour integration allows for the evaluation of difficult integrals and can often provide more accurate results than other methods. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where complex numbers are used.

3. How is a contour chosen for integration?

The choice of contour is dependent on the specific integral being evaluated. Generally, the contour must enclose the region of interest and have a path that allows for the integral to be evaluated using known techniques. The contour may also need to satisfy certain conditions, such as being closed or avoiding singularities.

4. What are some common techniques used in contour integration?

Some common techniques used in contour integration include the Cauchy Integral Theorem, Cauchy's Residue Theorem, and the Method of Steepest Descent. These methods involve using properties of complex functions, such as analyticity and singularities, to evaluate the integral along the chosen contour.

5. Are there any limitations to contour integration?

While contour integration can be a powerful tool for evaluating integrals, it does have some limitations. These include the need for the contour to be carefully chosen and the potential for the integral to be undefined if the contour crosses a singularity. Additionally, certain integrals may still be difficult to evaluate even with the use of contour integration techniques.