Continuous deformation? Family of curves? So confused

In summary, continuous deformation is the gradual transformation of one shape into another without any abrupt changes or breaks. It is used in topology to determine if shapes are topologically equivalent. A common example is transforming a square into a circle. A family of curves is a group of curves that share a common characteristic or equation, such as the set of all parabolas. Visualizing and studying mathematical equations can aid in understanding these concepts.
fleazo
I understand the concept behind continuous deformations.

Say we have two curves ζ1 and ζ2 from A to B on some domain D and say that Pdx + Qdy is closed. Say we can show n points A=c1,c2,...,cn=B and A=d1,d2,d3,...,dn=B, so that we can first say follow the curve ζ1 from A to c1 then over to d1 by means of straight line l1 (call this modified curve θ1), and then up to B, and then we can also look at following ζ1 from A to c2 then over to d2 by means of line l2 and then up to B (call this θ2), say that if l1 and l2 are contained in a rectangle in the domain D, then we know that because the rectangle is star shaped and Pdx +Qdy is closed on D that ∫Pdx+dy on θ1 and ∫Px+dy on θ2 are both path independent on that rectangle. So those two integrals are the same. We can do this n times and eventually end up with the fact that ∫Pdx + Qdy on ζ1 = ∫Pdx+Qdy on ζ2.

Now, I keep seeing questions that say things like "specify exactly the family of paths that can deform ζ1 continuously to ζ2". I am so lost at things like this. My prof gave me this formula: δ(t,s)=δ1(t)(1-s) + δ2(t)s for 0 ≤ s ≤ 1

I am so confused by what exactly this equatino is and just understanding these family of curves. From my understanding of what continuous deformation is it seems like you are picking n points. So wouldn't you be having n curves? I'm so confused

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question about continuous deformations. I can understand your confusion about the concept and the equation your professor gave you. Let me try to explain it in a simpler way.

Continuous deformation is a mathematical concept that describes the gradual change of one curve into another without any sudden breaks or jumps. It is often used in topology, which is the study of properties that are preserved through deformations, such as stretching, bending, and twisting. In your case, ζ1 and ζ2 are two curves that start at point A and end at point B on a certain domain D. The equation your professor gave you, δ(t,s)=δ1(t)(1-s) + δ2(t)s, represents a continuous deformation between ζ1 and ζ2. Here, t represents the parameter that moves along the curves, and s represents the parameter that controls the deformation between the two curves.

To better understand this, let's take a simpler example. Imagine a straight line segment connecting points A and B. If we want to deform this line into a curved line, we can use the equation δ(t,s)=δ1(t)(1-s) + δ2(t)s, where δ1(t) represents the original straight line and δ2(t) represents the curved line. As s increases from 0 to 1, the line gradually deforms from a straight line to a curved line.

Now, going back to your question about the family of paths, it refers to all possible curves that can be obtained by continuously deforming ζ1 into ζ2. These curves can vary depending on the values of t and s, but they all share the same starting and ending points. In other words, they all belong to the same family of curves.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of continuous deformations better. Please let me know if you have any further questions. As scientists, we are always happy to help others understand complex concepts.

Related to Continuous deformation? Family of curves? So confused

1. What is continuous deformation?

Continuous deformation is the process of transforming one shape into another shape without any abrupt changes or breaks. It is a concept commonly used in mathematics and physics to describe the smooth and gradual change of a geometric object.

2. How does continuous deformation relate to topology?

In topology, continuous deformation is used to classify shapes and determine if they are topologically equivalent. If one shape can be continuously deformed into another shape without tearing or gluing, then they are considered to be in the same topological class.

3. Can you give an example of continuous deformation?

Yes, a simple example of continuous deformation is the transformation of a square into a circle. By gradually shrinking the corners of the square and smoothing out the edges, the square can be continuously deformed into a circle.

4. What is a family of curves in mathematics?

A family of curves is a collection of curves that share a common characteristic or equation. These curves can vary in shape and size, but they all have a similar underlying structure. An example of a family of curves is the set of all parabolas, which have the general equation y = ax^2 + bx + c.

5. How can I better understand continuous deformation and families of curves?

One way to better understand these concepts is to visualize them. Try drawing or tracing different shapes and gradually transforming them into each other. Additionally, studying mathematical equations and their graphs can help in understanding families of curves and their properties.