Continuity question, show that f(x) = 1 - x

• Thread starter Nanatsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary: Where F(x) is an antiderivative of f(x).)I think the original question is trying to get you to use the Intermediate Value Theorem, but the wording is a little off. They want you to prove that there exists at least one x such that f(x) = 1-x. This may not be true for all continuous functions f, but it is true for all continuous functions satisfying the given conditions. For the second statement, you want to show that there exists x such that f(x) = g(x). Again, this may not be true for all continuous functions g, but it is true for all continuous functions satisfying the given conditions. I'm not sure why they use such awkward wording. It would
Nanatsu

Homework Statement

Suppose f (x) is a continuous function on [0;1], and 0 <= f(x) <= 1 for all x any [0;1].

(a)Show that f (x)= 1 - x for some number x.

(b)Prove the more general statement: Suppose g is continuous on [0,1] and g(0)= 1, g(1)= 0,then f(x)= g(x) for some number x.

Homework Equations

Unsure

The Attempt at a Solution

Neither makes sense to me. For the first one, isn't f(x) = x completely valid? Or a compressed sin function? Are they asking to show that 1-x is also valid, or that f(x) must be 1 - x no matter what?

For the second one, isn't a compressed cos function valid? It will be continuous on [0,1], g(0) = 1 and g(1) = 0. So why does g(x) = f(x) = 1-x only?

The question is copied word for word so tell me if I missed or misunderstood anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is complete nonsense.

Are you SURE you have given ALL relevant information here??

What book is this?

They're talking about the 1 X 1 square in the xy plane with line 1-x being one of its diagonals. If f is continuous in that square ( meaning 0 <= f(x) <= 1 for all x in [0,1]) then the function f must touch or cross the line 1-x at least once. Sure f(x)=x satisfies the question, but you must prove it for ANY continuous function f in that square.

Since they say that f is continuous on a closed interval and you're talking about a function crossing a line, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Intermediate Value Theorem is hiding in there somewhere.

Secondly, if g is a continuous function with g(0) = 1 and g(1) = 0, you must show that g intersects f somewhere. Draw a bunch of pictures depicting every case you can think of. You'll eventually convince yourself this must be true.

I've seen a problem like this before, so I had a head-start on deciphering it. :smile:

The question is from http://www.math.toronto.edu/~joel/137/assignments/a4.pdf

Question 5 on the last page. I do believe I copied it word for word.

I think I understand what you're saying union. In other words I don't have to show that f(x) = 1-x, but that there must be at least one x where f(x) will equal a point of 1-x, or in other words f(x) must cross 1-x on some point?

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to use the mean value theorem. The problem could be stated a bit more clearly by stating: show f(a) = 1 - a for some a [tex]\in[/tex] [0,1].

Since f(x) is continuous you can differentiate. Since 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] f(x) [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 on [tex]\left 0, 1\right[/tex] then then f'(x) will also be bounded on the interval.

The mean value theorem states that f'(z) = (f(b) - f(a))/(b - a) for some z in [tex]\left a, b\right[/tex]. Should be straight forward.

miqbal said:
You have to use the mean value theorem. The problem could be stated a bit more clearly by stating: show f(a) = 1 - a for some a [tex]\in[/tex] [0,1].

Since f(x) is continuous you can differentiate. Since 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] f(x) [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 on [tex]\left 0, 1\right[/tex] then then f'(x) will also be bounded on the interval.

The mean value theorem states that f'(z) = (f(b) - f(a))/(b - a) for some z in [tex]\left a, b\right[/tex]. Should be straight forward.

The Mean Value Theorem does not apply since we are NOT allowed to assume that f is differentiable on (0,1). Remember, continuity does not imply differentiability...it is the converse that is true.

It is the Intermediate Value Theorem that is needed. You're going to have to look at a couple of different cases, but luckily some of them are trivial.

You may assume that f(0) < 1 and f(1) > 0 and ignore the other cases. Why?

EDIT: This last part is erroneous. I have deleted it. Let me hammer away a little bit more and I'll get back.

Last edited:
I sucked at analysis :(.

Follow union's help, ignore mine.

Ha! This problem tripped me up some. I thought I had it worked out in my head and then I sat down to type it up and realized I was dead wrong. I hate it when that happens...

Nanatsu said:
I think I understand what you're saying union. In other words I don't have to show that f(x) = 1-x, but that there must be at least one x where f(x) will equal a point of 1-x, or in other words f(x) must cross 1-x on some point?

You are correct though, you want to show that f crosses the line y=1-x at some point. Let's denote the line as L(x)=1-x.

To rephrase the goal, you want to show that there exists an x such that f(x) = L(x). Or, equivalently, you could show that there exists x such that f(x) - L(x) = 0.

Furthermore, if you assume f(0) < 1 and f(1) > 0, then what can be said about f(0) - L(0) and f(1) - L(1)? Why can I throw away the cases f(0) = 1 and f(1) = 0? Will knowing something about f(0) - L(0) and f(1) - L(1) help you find a value of x such that f(x) - L(x) = 0? What can be said about the continuity of F - L?

Related to Continuity question, show that f(x) = 1 - x

1. What is continuity?

Continuity is a mathematical concept that describes a function's behavior. A function is said to be continuous if there are no breaks or jumps in its graph.

2. How is continuity tested?

In order to test continuity, we look at the behavior of a function at a specific point. We check if the limit of the function at that point exists, and if it does, we compare it to the value of the function at that point. If these two values are equal, the function is continuous at that point.

3. How do we show that f(x) = 1 - x is continuous?

We can show that f(x) = 1 - x is continuous by taking the limit of the function at any point x, and showing that it is equal to the value of the function at that point. In this case, the limit is equal to 1 - x, and the value of the function at any point is also 1 - x, so f(x) is continuous.

4. Can a function be continuous at one point but not at another?

Yes, a function can be continuous at one point but not at another. This happens when the limit of the function at one point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point, but at another point, the limit does not exist or is not equal to the value of the function at that point.

5. Are there other ways to show continuity besides using limits?

Yes, there are other ways to show continuity, such as using the intermediate value theorem or the sequential criterion for continuity. These methods can be used when the function is not defined algebraically, but rather given as a table of values or as a graph.