Continuity equation, partial derivative and differential operators

In summary, the formulas provided are related to the rate of density and mass flux in each volume element, but the specific meaning and application of the symbols and equations are unclear. Further clarification and context are needed to fully understand the mathematics involved.
pisgirl
Hi all!
I have the following slide, and whilst I understand that the original point is "the rate of density, ρ, in each volume element is equal to the mass flux"...i am totally lost on the mathematics! (And I am meant to be teaching this tomorrow). I do not have any information on what the indivudual symbols refer to, I guess A is area and t is time etc. Can anyone understand this:

-∇(ρv)=[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex](ρd[itex]\tau[/itex]) where d[itex]\tau[/itex]=Adx
-∇.v = [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex] (Adx)
-[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/itex] Adx = [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex](Adx)
-[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{A}[/itex] [itex]\frac{\partial A}{\partial T}[/itex]

Unfortunately I am not sure how to even get from line 1 to 2

and how t combine partial with full!

Argh! Thank you in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, pisgirl! :smile:

pisgirl said:
Hi all!
I have the following slide, and whilst I understand that the original point is "the rate of density, ρ, in each volume element is equal to the mass flux"...i am totally lost on the mathematics! (And I am meant to be teaching this tomorrow). I do not have any information on what the indivudual symbols refer to, I guess A is area and t is time etc. Can anyone understand this:

-∇(ρv)=[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex](ρd[itex]\tau[/itex]) where d[itex]\tau[/itex]=Adx
-∇.v = [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex] (Adx)
-[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/itex] Adx = [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex](Adx)
-[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{A}[/itex] [itex]\frac{\partial A}{\partial T}[/itex]

Unfortunately I am not sure how to even get from line 1 to 2

and how t combine partial with full!

Argh! Thank you in advance!

I also have difficulty to make sense of these formulas.

I think you can only get from line 1 to line 2 if ρ is independent from both time and location.
Then ρ can be moved outside the differentiation and get canceled.
But I presume ρ is not supposed to be constant?
Would it be dependent on time?

Can you indicate which quantities are supposed to be vectors and which scalar?
And which quantities depend on place and/or time?

Line 2 contains ∇.v making it ambiguous what v represents.
What does it represent?
Volume? Velocity? Specific volume?
Note the difference between ∇v and ∇.v.
The first is a gradient which requires a scalar function and yields a vector.
The second is the divergence which requires a vector function and yields a scalar.

In line 3 we see that it was either
##∇v = (\frac{dv}{dx}, \frac{dv}{dy}, \frac{dv}{dz})##, but where did the other components go then? And where did Adx come from?
##∇ \cdot \mathbf v=\frac{dv_x}{dx} + \frac{dv_y}{dy} + \frac{dv_z}{dz}##.
If we assume ##v_y = v_z = 0##, we're still left with an Adx that comes out of nowhere.

In line 4 suddenly a T pops up.
Temperature?
Or a typo that should have been ##\tau##?

Related to Continuity equation, partial derivative and differential operators

1. What is the Continuity Equation and why is it important?

The Continuity Equation is a fundamental principle in physics and engineering that states that the rate of change of a quantity within a given region is equal to the net flow of that quantity into or out of the region. This equation is important because it helps us understand how quantities such as mass, energy, and momentum are conserved in different systems, such as fluid flow or electrical circuits.

2. What is a partial derivative and how is it different from a regular derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical tool used to calculate the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is different from a regular derivative, which calculates the rate of change of a single variable function. Partial derivatives are commonly used in physics and engineering to model complex systems with multiple variables.

3. How are differential operators used in calculus?

Differential operators are symbols that represent mathematical operations, such as differentiation or integration. They are commonly used in calculus to simplify the process of solving equations and to manipulate functions. For example, the differential operator "d/dx" represents the operation of taking the derivative of a function with respect to the variable x.

4. Can the Continuity Equation be applied to all systems?

Yes, the Continuity Equation is a universal principle that can be applied to all physical systems. It is based on the fundamental laws of conservation of mass, energy, and momentum, which are applicable to all physical processes.

5. What is the practical application of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives have many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to optimize systems, model complex processes, and solve equations that involve multiple variables. For example, in physics, partial derivatives are used to calculate the forces acting on an object in motion, while in economics, they are used to analyze the impact of different variables on a market.