Continous Time Gaussian Distribution

In summary, the probability distribution function of v(t) given P(t) and d is a continuous-time Gaussian process with mean P(t)d and covariance matrix N_0 I_2. This can be represented by the function p(v(t)|P(t), d) = A * exp(-1/N_0 * integral(||v(t) - P(t)d||^2 dt)) where A is a constant.
EngWiPy
Hello all,

I have the following equation

[tex]\mathbf{v}(t)=\mathbf{P}(t)\mathbf{d}+\mathbf{w}(t)[/tex]

where v(t) is a 2-by-1 vector, P(t) is 2-by-2N matrix, d is a 2N-by-1 vector, and w(t) is an 2-by-1 Gaussian process vector where each element is of zero mean and variance N0. What is the probability distribution function (p.d.f.) of v(t) given that P(t) and d? I know it is Gaussian with mean P(t)d and covariance matrix N0 I_2, but I am not sure how to write it. Is the following right:

[tex]p(\mathbf{v}(t)\Big|\mathbf{P}(t),\mathbf{d})=A \exp\left(-\frac{1}{N_0}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Big\|\mathbf{v}(t)-\mathbf{P}(t)\mathbf{d}\Big\|^2\,dt\right)[/tex]

where A is some constant, since I am concerned only for the exponential argument. I appreciate your help

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
chiro said:
Hey S_David.

If w(t) is the only random component, then the mean will be a multivariate normal with mean P(t)d and a covariance matrix S.

The distribution of a multi-variable Normal is given by:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multivariate_normal_distribution#Density_function

Again the assumption is that P(t)d is not a random variable and also that is independent of w(t).

Thanks for replying,

Actually P(t)d is also random, but I need the distribution given P(t)d, which basically means it is a constant. I know the distribution in the discrete-time, I need the equivalent in the continuous-time, since I have continuous functions.

What is the distribution of P(t) and d?

chiro said:
What is the distribution of P(t) and d?

I rather not to go into details. Just I want to say, the above equation is the received signal over a wireless channel in a communication system, and w(t) is additive white Gaussian noise. In the detection process P(t) (the channel) is estimated, and d is chosen such that the conditional p.d.f is maximized.

Since P(t)d and v(t) are independent then the joint distribution is P(P(t)d = X, w(t) = Y) = P(P(t)d = X(t))*P(w(t) = Y(t))

Now you can get the distribution for the sum using the convolution theorem since both variables are independent.

Once you have the distribution for the sum of the two independent variables, you can use this to calculate a conditional distribution using P(A|B) = P(A and B)/P(B).

Since you don't give details for the specifics, that is as far as my advice can go.

The convolution theorem integral is the same form as found in standard convolutions of signals and I have a feeling you know what to do.

If you want to find an optimal set of parameters for a parametric distribution family for P(t)d then look up the Expectation Maximization algorithm (or EM algorithm) which is used in a lot of applications similar to yours.

chiro said:
Since P(t)d and v(t) are independent then the joint distribution is P(P(t)d = X, w(t) = Y) = P(P(t)d = X(t))*P(w(t) = Y(t))

Now you can get the distribution for the sum using the convolution theorem since both variables are independent.

Once you have the distribution for the sum of the two independent variables, you can use this to calculate a conditional distribution using P(A|B) = P(A and B)/P(B).

Since you don't give details for the specifics, that is as far as my advice can go.

The convolution theorem integral is the same form as found in standard convolutions of signals and I have a feeling you know what to do.

If you want to find an optimal set of parameters for a parametric distribution family for P(t)d then look up the Expectation Maximization algorithm (or EM algorithm) which is used in a lot of applications similar to yours.

I am sorry, but I just needed how to write the p.d.f of a continuous-time Gaussian process of mean P(t)d and covariance matrix N_0 I_2.

Related to Continous Time Gaussian Distribution

1. What is a Continous Time Gaussian Distribution?

A Continous Time Gaussian Distribution, also known as a normal distribution, is a type of probability distribution that is often used to describe real-valued random variables. It is a bell-shaped curve that is symmetrical around the mean, with the majority of data falling within one standard deviation of the mean.

2. How is a Continous Time Gaussian Distribution different from other distributions?

Unlike other distributions, the Continous Time Gaussian Distribution has a fixed mean and standard deviation, which makes it easier to interpret and analyze. It is also a continuous distribution, meaning that the possible values of the random variable can take on any real number.

3. What are some applications of the Continous Time Gaussian Distribution?

The Continous Time Gaussian Distribution is widely used in statistics, economics, and natural sciences to model real-world data. It is used to describe the distribution of heights, weights, test scores, and other measurements. It is also used in financial modeling, risk management, and quality control.

4. How is the Continous Time Gaussian Distribution related to the Central Limit Theorem?

The Central Limit Theorem states that the sum of a large number of independent and identically distributed random variables will be approximately normally distributed. This means that many real-world phenomena can be modeled using the Continous Time Gaussian Distribution, making it a fundamental concept in statistics and data analysis.

5. How is the Continous Time Gaussian Distribution calculated and represented mathematically?

The Continous Time Gaussian Distribution is calculated using the following formula:

where x is the random variable, μ is the mean, and σ is the standard deviation. It is represented graphically as a bell-shaped curve with the mean at the center and the standard deviation determining the spread of the curve.