Contact Angle of Immiscible Liquids in a Tube

In summary, the contact angle between immiscible liquids can be difficult to measure accurately. There are a variety of methods which can be used, but the most reliable is to measure it inside a cylindrical tube.
AqibH
I'm having trouble finding any sources which describe how to accurately measure the contact angle between immiscible liquids in a tube. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
AqibH said:
I'm having trouble finding any sources which describe how to accurately measure the contact angle between immiscible liquids in a tube.

There is a lot of information out there, but it may appear confusing for a variety of reasons. Are you actually interested in the contact angle, or are you actually trying to measure the interfacial energy? What information have you found so far?

What do you mean by 'accurately'? In many situations, the contact angle is not a unique angle (advancing/retreating angles and canthotaxis, for example). Additionally, the contact angle at microscopic length scales is not necessarily the same as the contact angle at macroscopic length scales (among others, E. B. Dussan V.'s work is the gold-standard on this question). Finally, is this a static or dynamic (wetting) measurement?

Is your tube cylindrical? optical measurements are then subject to lensing and related difficulties.

I am interested in the contact angle itself as I already have measured the interfacial tension (but not in the same cylindrical tube). I have not been able to find any information on measuring the contact angle of immiscible liquids inside a tube. It seems all the focus of measuring contact angles has been for liquid-vapor-solid interfaces on a flat plane or in a tube.

By 'accurately', I meant a method which was reliable and not some kind of homemade method which I have seen some papers use. I am only interested in the static contact angle as I understand that measuring dynamic contact angles can be difficult. I also understand that the more you zoom on an image the contact angle will change. Basically, I was hoping that there existed some method which is used to measure the angle and it was a method which could be consistently repeatable.

The tube is cylindrical. I understand the issues of optical measurements but this is what I am leaning towards. We don't really have the equipment to measure contact angle of even one liquid in a tube (there are published methods for this liquid-vapor-solid interface).

AqibH said:
I am interested in the contact angle itself as I already have measured the interfacial tension (but not in the same cylindrical tube). I have not been able to find any information on measuring the contact angle of immiscible liquids inside a tube. It seems all the focus of measuring contact angles has been for liquid-vapor-solid interfaces on a flat plane or in a tube.

By 'accurately', I meant a method which was reliable and not some kind of homemade method which I have seen some papers use. I am only interested in the static contact angle as I understand that measuring dynamic contact angles can be difficult. I also understand that the more you zoom on an image the contact angle will change. Basically, I was hoping that there existed some method which is used to measure the angle and it was a method which could be consistently repeatable.

The tube is cylindrical. I understand the issues of optical measurements but this is what I am leaning towards. We don't really have the equipment to measure contact angle of even one liquid in a tube (there are published methods for this liquid-vapor-solid interface).

I see. You are correct that the apparent contact angle will vary with 'magnification', that is the essence of Dussan's series of papers. One approach is to place the two fluids in a square/rectangular cuvette (with flat windows for sides), and immerse/withdraw a solid glass rod; this 'inside-out' version obviates many of the imaging difficulties.

Adamson's Physical Chemistry of Surfaces lists a variety of measurement methods. Papers by Slattery, Dussan, and Scriven are another good source of ideas.

Related to Contact Angle of Immiscible Liquids in a Tube

1. What is the contact angle of immiscible liquids in a tube?

The contact angle of immiscible liquids in a tube is the angle formed between the liquid-liquid interface and the solid surface of the tube. It is a measure of the wettability of the solid surface by the liquid.

2. How is the contact angle of immiscible liquids in a tube measured?

The contact angle can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as the sessile drop method or the captive bubble method. These methods involve placing a droplet or bubble of the liquid at the interface and measuring the angle formed.

3. What factors affect the contact angle of immiscible liquids in a tube?

The contact angle is influenced by several factors, including the surface tension of the liquids, the surface chemistry of the solid surface, and the roughness of the surface. Temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the contact angle.

4. What is the significance of the contact angle in scientific research?

The contact angle is an important parameter in various fields of science, such as materials science, chemistry, and biology. It can provide insights into the surface properties of materials and how they interact with different liquids, which can have practical applications in the development of new materials and technologies.

5. Can the contact angle of immiscible liquids in a tube be manipulated?

Yes, the contact angle can be altered by modifying the surface chemistry of the solid surface or by introducing surfactants. This can be useful in controlling the wetting behavior of liquids on different surfaces or in creating self-cleaning surfaces.