Contact analysis in Flexible gear

In summary, the conversation discusses a model in ANSYS Workbench that analyzes the behavior of flexible gear. The model consists of three components: flexible gear, wave generator, and rigid gear. The applied force has two cases where the flexible gear deforms from a circular shape to an ellipse shape and then contacts and engages with the rigid gear to transfer torque. All contact types are frictional, with the flexible gear contacting either the wave generator or the rigid gear. The unique aspect of this model is that the flexible gear and rigid gear do not initially contact each other, but instead connect after deformation. The speaker is seeking help with obtaining suitable results for their model, which has been showing an error message. They have attempted to set non-linear conditions for
virgo86
Hi everybody,
I'm working on an analysis model of flexible gear in ANSYS workbench.

This model has 3 components: flexible gear(FG), wave generator(WG) and rigid gear(RG)

Applied force have two case: WG makes FG deforming from circular shape to ellipse shape, the FG contacts and engages to RG for transferring torque or moment.

I used all contact type is frictional. Contact: FG, targets: WG or RG.

The specicial of this model is that FG and RG are not contact together in first time. After being deformation, FG can be connect to RG.

I try to solve model, but model didn't give me a stuitable results.

I wish that I have some help for my trouble!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 375
Engineering news on Phys.org
Explain what you believe should be a suitable result as compared that the one shown.

I try to set some non-linear condition for contact condition with medium meshing quality. And program shows me a error message.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 386

Related to Contact analysis in Flexible gear

What is contact analysis in Flexible gear?

Contact analysis in Flexible gear refers to the process of studying the interaction between two or more gear components in a flexible gear system. It involves analyzing the contact patterns, forces, and stresses in the gear teeth during operation.

Why is contact analysis important in Flexible gear?

Contact analysis is important in Flexible gear because it helps to ensure the proper functioning and durability of the gear system. It allows engineers to identify potential areas of failure and make design improvements to prevent them.

What are the common methods used for contact analysis in Flexible gear?

The most common methods used for contact analysis in Flexible gear are Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and Boundary Element Method (BEM). FEA is a numerical method used to analyze the structural behavior of complex systems, while BEM is based on the principle of elastic contact theory.

What are the key parameters considered in contact analysis of Flexible gear?

The key parameters considered in contact analysis of Flexible gear include the gear geometry, material properties, operating conditions such as speed and torque, and the contact pattern between the gear teeth. These parameters help to determine the stress and load distribution in the gear system.

How does contact analysis help in optimizing the design of Flexible gear?

Contact analysis allows engineers to understand the performance of the gear system, identify design flaws, and make necessary modifications to optimize its performance. It helps to achieve a balance between strength, durability, and efficiency in the gear design.