Constructive criticism for you folks

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary, Jamin2112 is asking for help multiple times, but is not willing to wait for a response. He is also not contributing to the forum in any way. His criticism is not constructive, and he should be directing it inward instead of complaining to the community.
Jamin2112
You folks are slacking off. I asked a homework question and it never got answered, even though I bumped it up to the top of the Calculus & Beyond forum twice. And I had better luck finding a cool math proof by Googling than by explicitely asking the forum. Get your head in the game.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry please send us your credit card details and we will issue a refund.

Jamin2112 said:
You folks are slacking off. I asked a homework question and it never got answered, even though I bumped it up to the top of the Calculus & Beyond forum twice. And I had better luck finding a cool math proof by Googling than by explicitely asking the forum. Get your head in the game.

one question---how much time did it take waiting and looking for help rather than working on the problem yourself?

My sentiment mirror the above two posts. Obv. if you found the answer on google, it was pretty easy to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Constructive criticism for you too

Jamin2112 said:

HI Jamin2112! :smile:

You need to be a little more patient, and to stop putting people off looking at your thread.

Your first post was at 7.20 am London time, when most PF members have just gone to sleep :zzz:, and some more are about to wake up.

Your second post was only 18 minutes later, asking a totally different question (why didn't you start another thread? :confused:).

Then you bumped it 11 hours later, and bumped it again 9 hours after that.

(and even now, it's only about 25 hours later!)

What is the point of bumping after only 11 hours??

Many homework helpers give priority to no-reply threads, and I expect most members assume that any thread with two or more replies, of which the last is by the OP, is already being answered.

So bumping can be counter-productive, and bumping after substantially less than 24 hours almost always is. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
HI Jamin2112! :smile:

You need to be a little more patient, and to stop putting people off looking at your thread.

Your first post was at 7.20 am London time, when most PF members have just gone to sleep :zzz:, and some more are about to wake up.

Your second post was only 18 minutes later, asking a totally different question (why didn't you start another thread? :confused:).

Then you bumped it 11 hours later, and bumped it again 9 hours after that.

(and even now, it's only about 25 hours later!)

What is the point of bumping after only 11 hours??

Many homework helpers give priority to no-reply threads, and I expect most members assume that any thread with two or more replies, of which the last is by the OP, is already being answered.

So bumping can be counter-productive, and bumping after substantially less than 24 hours almost always is. :wink:

I've always liked you, bro. Thanks for the advice.

Jamin,

A couple things you might consider.

One is that your message conveys a real sense of entitlement - that it is somehow the obligation of the members of PF to drop whatever they happen to be doing and work on what you insist they work on. Instead you might instead think that they are doing you a favor and treat them accordingly.

Another is that I see that you have started 46 threads, 45 of which are in "homework help". 43 of them have replies. So it seems to me that you're getting 95% of your questions answered, and you have concluded that this isn't good enough.

Have you contributed to PF in any way? For example, helped someone else with their homework? I was looking for an example of this, but couldn't find it. If not, might your criticism be better directed inward? Why aren't you helping less advanced students on their timescales?

Vanadium 50 said:
Jamin,
Have you contributed to PF in any way?

I've asked questions to help stretch people's thinking

For example, helped someone else with their homework?

I usually answer questions on Yahoo answers. I don't know how to use the fancy-schmancy numerical notation on here, so someone asking a question will breeze over my answer in favor of a more experienced forumite's answer.

[QUPTE] I was looking for an example of this, but couldn't find it. If not, might your criticism be better directed inward?[/QUOTE]

Please don't try to be my bro-therapist.

Why aren't you helping less advanced students on their timescales?

Fine---I'll make an effort to do that.

(Note: off-topic / unproductive posts deleted or moved. -- Redbelly98)

Enough already. If you want to discuss problems and solutions, use the appropriate forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Constructive criticism for you folks

1. What is constructive criticism?

Constructive criticism is feedback given with the intention of helping someone improve their skills or behavior. It focuses on specific areas for improvement and offers suggestions for how to make those improvements.

2. How is constructive criticism different from regular criticism?

Regular criticism is often negative and focuses on pointing out someone's flaws or mistakes. Constructive criticism, on the other hand, is meant to be helpful and focuses on offering solutions and suggestions for improvement.

3. Why is constructive criticism important?

Constructive criticism is important because it allows individuals to grow and improve. It can help identify areas for improvement that may have gone unnoticed and provide guidance on how to make those improvements. It also fosters open communication and can strengthen relationships.

4. How should constructive criticism be delivered?

Constructive criticism should be delivered in a calm and respectful manner. It is important to focus on the behavior or skill that needs improvement, rather than attacking the person. It should also be specific and offer suggestions for improvement rather than just pointing out flaws.

5. How should one respond to constructive criticism?

When receiving constructive criticism, it is important to listen attentively and remain open-minded. Avoid becoming defensive or making excuses. Instead, ask for clarification and take the feedback into consideration to make improvements.