Constructing Path Connected Space

• Thread starter playa007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path Space
Expert summarizerIn summary, we have discussed how to construct a path connected space X with the fundamental group of (X,x_0) being the symmetric group on 3 letters, and how to compute the fundamental group of Z, which is obtained from a hollow cube by deleting the interior of its faces. We used Van Kampen's theorem and identified Z as a wedge sum of 6 circles, resulting in a fundamental group isomorphic to the free group on 6 generators.
playa007

Homework Statement

1. Construct a path connected space X such that the fundamental group of (X,x_0)
where x_0 is the base point; such that the fundamental group is the symmetric
group on 3 letters?

2. Let Z be the space obtained from a hollow cube by deleting the interior of its
faces. Compute fundamental group of (Z,z_0) where z_0 is a basepoint.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Both problems seem very related; I believe if I can solve one of them I can mostly like use similar ideas to solve the other. It seems like it must admit a simple solution; a graph of some sort. But I cannot spot any at the moment

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am happy to help you with these problems.

1. To construct a path connected space X such that the fundamental group of (X,x_0) is the symmetric group on 3 letters, we can use the fact that the symmetric group on 3 letters is isomorphic to the dihedral group of order 6. Therefore, we can construct X as a regular hexagon with each vertex representing one of the 3 letters. We can then identify the sides of the hexagon in a way that preserves the orientation of the letters, creating a path-connected space with the desired fundamental group.

2. To compute the fundamental group of Z, we can use Van Kampen's theorem. Since Z is obtained from a hollow cube, we can decompose it into two spaces: the cube itself and the interior of the faces. The fundamental group of the cube is trivial, as it is contractible. The interior of the faces can be identified as a wedge sum of 6 circles, each representing a face of the cube. Therefore, the fundamental group of Z is isomorphic to the free group on 6 generators, which can be written as F_6.

I hope this helps you solve these problems. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the steps.

Related to Constructing Path Connected Space

1. What is a path connected space?

A path connected space is a type of mathematical space in which any two points can be connected by a continuous path. This means that there are no "holes" or "gaps" in the space, and you can travel from one point to another without encountering any breaks or discontinuities.

2. How is a path connected space constructed?

A path connected space can be constructed by starting with a set of points and defining a topology, which is a collection of open sets that satisfy certain properties. The most common method is to use a metric, which is a function that defines the distance between any two points in the space. By using this metric, we can define open sets that allow us to continuously connect any two points in the space.

3. What are the key properties of a path connected space?

There are several key properties of a path connected space, including the fact that it is connected, meaning that it cannot be divided into two disjoint open sets. Additionally, it is locally path connected, meaning that every point has a neighborhood that is path connected. Finally, it is simply connected, meaning that any loop in the space can be continuously shrunk to a single point.

4. Can a path connected space have holes or gaps?

No, a path connected space cannot have holes or gaps. This is because the definition of a path connected space requires that any two points can be connected by a continuous path. If there were holes or gaps in the space, there would be points that cannot be connected by a continuous path, violating this definition.

5. How is the concept of path connectedness used in real-world applications?

The concept of path connectedness is used in various fields, such as topology, geometry, and physics. In topology, it is used to study the properties of different spaces and their connectivity. In geometry, it is used to define and analyze curves and surfaces. In physics, it is used to understand the behavior of particles and fields in continuous spaces.