Constraint on conformal transformation (Ketov)

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation that must be satisfied by the conformal parameter \xi defined through a transformation of spacetime coordinates. The equation is derived using the chain rule and Taylor expansion, but there is a sign error which can be fixed by replacing \omega with -\omega and taking the trace of both sides.
maverick280857
Hi,

First of all, I'm not sure if this thread belongs to the BSM forum because the question I'm posing here is a simple CFT question which could well be posed in the forum on GR or Particle Physics/QFT. I will defer to the judgment of the moderator to put this in the right place if it already isn't.

So, while working through the book on Conformal Field Theory by Ketov, I came across a differential equation that must be satisfied by the conformal parameter [itex]\xi[/itex] defined through

[tex]x^\mu \rightarrow {\tilde{x}}^\mu = x^\mu + \xi^\mu[/tex]

Now,

[tex]\tilde{g}_{\mu\nu}(\tilde{x}) = \frac{\partial x^\lambda}{\partial \tilde{x}^\mu}\frac{\partial x^\rho}{\partial \tilde{x}^\nu}g_{\lambda\rho}(x)[/tex]

For the infinitesimal transformation in question,

[tex]\frac{\partial x^\mu}{\partial \tilde{x}^\rho} = \delta^{\mu}_{\rho} - \frac{\partial x^\lambda}{\partial \tilde{x}^\rho}\frac{\partial \xi^{\mu}}{\partial x^\lambda}[/tex]

using the chain rule in the second term. Now, to lowest order in [itex]\xi[/itex], this becomes

[tex]\frac{\partial x^\mu}{\partial \tilde{x}^\rho} = \delta^{\mu}_{\rho} - \partial_{\rho}\xi^\mu[/tex]

But this means,

[tex]\tilde{g}_{\mu\nu}(\tilde{x}) = g_{\mu\nu}(x) - g_{\mu\rho}(x)\partial_\nu\xi^\rho - g_{\nu\lambda}\partial_\mu \xi^\lambda[/tex]

which, with the identification [itex]\Omega(x) = e^{\omega(x)}[/itex] and [itex]\tilde{g}(\tilde{x}) = \Omega(x)g_{\mu\nu}(x)[/itex], yields

[tex](1 + \omega)g_{\mu\nu} = g_{\mu\nu} - \partial_\nu \xi_\mu - \partial_\mu \xi_\nu[/tex]

The right hand side has the wrong signs for the second and third terms, when compared to the result given in Ketov's book. Now this looks like a fairly straightforward application of the chain rule and Taylor expansion, to me. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved. There is a sign error but this can be fixed by replacing [itex]\omega [/itex] with [itex]-\omega [/itex] and taking the trace of both sides.

Related to Constraint on conformal transformation (Ketov)

1. What is a conformal transformation?

A conformal transformation is a mathematical operation that preserves angles between curves. This means that the shape of the curves may change, but the relative angles between them remain the same.

2. How does a conformal transformation relate to constraints?

In the context of Ketov's work, a conformal transformation is used to impose constraints on the mathematical equations that describe the behavior of a system. These constraints limit the possible solutions to the equations and help us better understand the properties of the system.

3. What is the significance of constraints on conformal transformations in physics?

Constraints on conformal transformations are important in physics because they allow us to study the behavior of physical systems at different scales. This helps us understand how the laws of physics behave under different conditions, and can lead to new insights and discoveries.

4. Can constraints on conformal transformations be applied to any physical system?

Yes, constraints on conformal transformations can be applied to any physical system that can be described using mathematical equations. This includes systems in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and general relativity.

5. How are constraints on conformal transformations determined?

The specific constraints that are applied to a conformal transformation depend on the properties of the system being studied and the goals of the research. They can be determined through mathematical analysis, experimental data, or a combination of both.