Constatly accelerating spacecraft

In summary, the conversation is about the potential of a spacecraft with advanced propulsion technology to accelerate at 1 gee or more indefinitely, allowing the crew to walk around in simulated gravity and potentially travel between stars without dying of old age. The distance to the destination and constant acceleration are known, and using Galilean mechanics, the equations T = \sqrt{ \frac{2 D}{A}} and v_{final} = \sqrt{2 A D} are proposed. The individual is interested in incorporating relativity into the equations and finding both subjective and externally measured time, as well as the real final velocity. A link is provided for further reading and a book is suggested as a resource for deriving the equations.
{~}
This is not a homework problem. It is personal project of mine. Pleases help

Say you have a spacecraft that for some advanced propulsion technology is able to accelerate at 1 gee or more indefinitely. This allows the crew walk around as in a gravity and, I think, permit slower than travel between the stars without the crew dying of old age.

You know the distance to your destination and you know the acceleration the crew experiences is constant.

To simplify things assume no deceleration leg. Once we figure out how to calculate that a more realistic flight should be trivial to extrapolate.

Using Galilean mechanics I would;

[tex] T = \sqrt{ \frac{2 D}{A}} [/tex]

and

[tex] v_{final} = \sqrt{2 A D} [/tex]

but I want to see how relativity comes into play. The speed in the second equation isn't real and can only be found by mixing reference frames (the non length contracted distance over subjective time).

I want to find both subjective and externally measured time as well as the real final velocity. We have non-relativistic distance and subjective acceleration.

Anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good page on this very subject here:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah thank you. Your link will help me complete my project. I am curious though if anyone knows how one arrives at such equations.

{~} said:
Ah thank you. Your link will help me complete my project. I am curious though if anyone knows how one arrives at such equations.
Well, you could start with p. 240-242 of this book for several of those equations.

Related to Constatly accelerating spacecraft

1. How does a constantly accelerating spacecraft work?

A constantly accelerating spacecraft works by continuously applying a force to propel itself forward. This can be achieved through the use of rockets, ion engines, or other forms of propulsion. The spacecraft's velocity increases over time due to the constant acceleration, allowing it to reach higher speeds and travel further distances.

2. What are the benefits of a constantly accelerating spacecraft?

A constantly accelerating spacecraft has several benefits, including faster travel times, the ability to reach more distant destinations, and increased fuel efficiency. By continuously accelerating, the spacecraft can cover larger distances in a shorter amount of time, making it ideal for long-distance space travel.

3. How does a constantly accelerating spacecraft maintain its trajectory?

A constantly accelerating spacecraft maintains its trajectory through a combination of its propulsion system and its navigation system. The propulsion system provides the necessary force to keep the spacecraft moving in the desired direction, while the navigation system monitors and adjusts the trajectory as needed.

4. What challenges are associated with a constantly accelerating spacecraft?

One of the main challenges of a constantly accelerating spacecraft is the amount of fuel or energy required to maintain the acceleration. This can be mitigated by using more efficient propulsion systems or finding ways to generate energy during the journey. Another challenge is the potential for increased wear and tear on the spacecraft's components due to the continuous acceleration.

5. Can a constantly accelerating spacecraft reach the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to reach the speed of light. Therefore, a constantly accelerating spacecraft can approach but never reach the speed of light. However, with advanced propulsion systems and technology, it is possible for a spacecraft to reach very high speeds and travel significant distances in a relatively short amount of time.