Constant thickness lens varying refractive index

In summary, the lens is a strange object that does not behave like a traditional lens. Rays that pass through the lens far from the axis have further to travel to the focus than rays nearer the axis.
timetraveller123

Homework Statement

upload_2017-10-1_19-51-2.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my initial approach was to just imagine the light rays leaving the focal point and emerging parrallel but then the result had no dependence on thickness how to tackle this problem how does the thickness even factor in

Physics news on Phys.org
Focus on wavefronts, not rays.
Consider a plane wavefront entering the lens. The time delay while passing through the lens should convert the plane wavefront to a spherical wavefront. What time delay( radius) is needed. What RI will give that delay?

Likes timetraveller123
i am really not getting something if by looking at it as wavefronts if the wavefront is normal to the lens why would it refract
and would a time delay make it into spherical wavefront sorry i have not really learned spherical wavefronts before

Last edited:
Likes timetraveller123
ok now i have a better understanding of what will happen but i am not really able to relate the time delay to the focal length any help on that

Rays that pass through the lens far from the axis have further to travel to the focus than rays nearer the axis. Assume the lens is very thin, work out the difference in distance and so the time delay required at different radii from the axis for all rays to arrive at the focus at the same time.

You know that the RI, η = c / ν, so you can work out the thickness of glass with a particular RI needed to delay the axial rays more than the outer rays.

You can then work out the RI distribution needed for a flat plate to get the same time delay distribution.

Likes timetraveller123
I would play with ray optics.
Remember this is a thick lens, not a thin one.
What kind of lens (convergent or divergent) can you make from the stated process?
Then work the geometry with the given r, d and F.
Ray optics give you a better picture of what is going on.
EDIT - see my later post. I don't think this is a lens at all.

Last edited:
Likes timetraveller123
Baluncore said:
Rays that pass through the lens far from the axis have further to travel to the focus than rays nearer the axis. Assume the lens is very thin, work out the difference in distance and so the time delay required at different radii from the axis for all rays to arrive at the focus at the same time.

You know that the RI, η = c / ν, so you can work out the thickness of glass with a particular RI needed to delay the axial rays more than the outer rays.

You can then work out the RI distribution needed for a flat plate to get the same time delay distribution.
ok i am getting
##
d_{extra} = \sqrt{F^2 + r^2} - F \\
t_{difference} = \frac{dn_0 - dn_r}{c}\\
hence ,\\
n_r = n_0 - \frac{\sqrt{F^2 + r^2} - F}{d}
##
is this correct

vishnu 73 said:
ok i am getting
##
d_{extra} = \sqrt{F^2 + r^2} - F \\
t_{difference} = \frac{dn_0 - dn_r}{c}\\
hence ,\\
n_r = n_0 - \frac{\sqrt{F^2 + r^2} - F}{d}
##
is this correct
Looks right to me.

Likes timetraveller123
In a positive lens, parallel rays converge to a focus.
In a negative lens, parallel rays diverge (forming a virtual focus on the object side).
Neither happens with this lens. Parallel rays perpendicular to the lens surface just go thru without bending at all.
Strange lens!

Last edited:
rude man said:
Parallel rays perpendicular to the lens surface just go thru without bending at all.
Strange lens!
That is where the concept of the wavefront comes in. The sum of all rays constructively form a wavefront, with the spherical curvature required to bring the energy to the focus.

Considering a single one dimensional ray is too simplistic a model for diffraction.

I forgot about graded-index (GRIN) lenses.

But there is nothing wrong with applying ray optics to the GRIN lens. Outer beams are bent more strongly by the transverse n gradient than ones closer to the lens center, all converging and forming a positive lens, as shown below.

Grin-lens.png

"Geometrical optics does not account for certain optical effects such as diffraction and interference. This simplification is useful in practice; it is an excellent approximation when the wavelength is small compared to the size of structures with which the light interacts." (wikipedia, italics mine).

This is thoroughly covered in http://homepage.tudelft.nl/q1d90/fbweb/diss.pdf

Having been clued in I will try to verify the OP's n(r) derivation. Offhand it looks right.
EDIT: It's right. (It ignores the slight droop in each ray as it passes thru the lens but that is a very reasonable simplification).

Last edited:
Likes timetraveller123

Related to Constant thickness lens varying refractive index

1. What is a constant thickness lens varying refractive index?

A constant thickness lens varying refractive index is a type of lens where the thickness of the lens remains constant, but the refractive index changes across the surface of the lens. This results in a lens with varying optical properties, allowing for more precise control over the direction and focus of light passing through it.

2. How does a constant thickness lens varying refractive index work?

The varying refractive index in this type of lens is achieved through the use of materials with different refractive indices on the surface of the lens. This causes light passing through the lens to bend and refract at different angles, resulting in a more focused and controlled beam of light.

3. What are the applications of a constant thickness lens varying refractive index?

This type of lens has a wide range of applications, including in the fields of optics, microscopy, and telecommunications. It is commonly used in the design of complex optical systems and devices, such as camera lenses, microscopes, and laser technology.

4. What are the advantages of using a constant thickness lens varying refractive index?

The use of a constant thickness lens varying refractive index allows for more precise and customizable control over the direction and focus of light, making it useful in a variety of scientific and technological applications. It also allows for the creation of thinner and lighter optical systems, making them more practical and efficient.

5. Are there any limitations to using a constant thickness lens varying refractive index?

One limitation of this type of lens is that it can be more complex and challenging to manufacture compared to traditional lenses. This can make them more expensive and less readily available. Additionally, the use of multiple materials with different refractive indices can also introduce potential errors and distortions in the resulting image or beam of light.