Constant force perturbation of the quantum SHO

In summary, the unperturbed Hamiltonian for the simple harmonic oscillator is \hat{H}_{0}=\hat{p}^{2}/2m+m\omega^2\hat{x}^2/2, with a perturbation so that \hat{H}=\hat{H}_0+\hat{H}' . The first and second order energy corrections are already solved, and the first order correction to the wave function can be found using the change of variables x' \equiv x+F/m\omega^2. The last part of the question is to solve for the exact energies using the change of variables x' \equiv
nathan12343
[SOLVED] Constant force perturbation of the quantum SHO

Homework Statement

We're supposed to consider the Hamiltonian for the simple harmonic oscillator:

[tex]\hat{H}_{0} = \hat{p}^{2}/2m + m\omega^2\hat{x}^2/2[/tex]

With a perturbation, so that [tex]\hat{H} = \hat{H}_0 + \hat{H}' [/tex], where [tex]\hat{H}' = F\hat{x}[/tex]

I've already solved for the first and second order energy corrections, as well as the first order correction to the wave function. The last part of the question is to solve for the exact energies using the change of variables [tex]x' \equiv x + F/m\omega^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

See above

The Attempt at a Solution

When I substitute for x in the perturbed Hamiltonian, I get

[tex]\hat{H} = \hat{p}^2/2m + m\omega^2\hat{x'}^2/2 - F^2/2m\omega^2[/tex]

Which is of the same form as the unperturbed Hamiltonian, except for a constant, which would shift the energies down by the constant compared to the unperturbed case. However, when I solved for the second order correction to the energies, I got that there wasn't a constant shift, but instead the spacing of the energy levels increased by [tex]F^2(n+1/2)/m\omega^2[/tex] Since the energy correction looks a lot like the extra constant that was introduced to the Hamiltonian, I'm inclined to think that my reasoning is incorrect somewhere, and that I should get that the exact energies are equal to the 0th plus 2nd order energies, but that's just a guess.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean

[tex]\hat{H}'= -F\hat{x}[/tex] wrong sign

in order to get [tex]\hat{H} = \hat{p}^2/2m + m\omega^2\hat{x'}^2/2 - F^2/2m\omega^2[/tex]

The 2nd order corrections is exactly

[tex]E_n^2=-\frac{F^2}{2\,m\,\omega^2}[/tex]

Did you check your calculations?

EDIT: [tex]\hat{H}'[/tex] was correct.

Last edited:
No, it's [tex]H' = F\hat{x}[/tex], you have to plug in for x, which means solving for x in the equation for x' given above, there's some cancellation, and [tex]\hat{H}[/tex] comes out as I've given it above.

One part of the problem had us calculate [tex] \left\langle m\right|H'\left|n\right\rangle [/tex], which came out to:
[tex]F\sqrt{\bar{h}/2m\omega}(\sqrt{n+1}\delta_{m,n+1} + \sqrt{n}\delta_{m,n-1})[/tex]

Where I've denoted the nth stationary state of the unperturbed SHO by the n ket

So, the second order correction is

[tex]\sum\left|\left\langle m\right|H'\left|n\right\rangle \right|^2/(E_{n}^{0} - E_{m}^{0})[/tex]

Where the sum is to be taken over all m [tex]\neq[/tex] n.

The kronecker deltas in [tex]\left\langle m \left|\hat{H'}\right|n\right\rangle[/tex] kill off all the terms in the sum except for those which [tex]m = n \pm 1[/tex]

And, if you do the algebra, The second order energy correction comes out to:

[tex]F^2(n + 1/2)/m\omega^2[/tex]

I'm not seeing how you got your answer, Rainbow Child, can you explain?

P.S. Anyone know how to say hbar in LaTex? That doesn't look right

Last edited:
I found the same result

[tex]F\sqrt{\hbar/2m\omega}(\sqrt{n+1}\delta_{m,n+1} + \sqrt{n}\delta_{m,n-1})[/tex]

thus

[tex]m=n+1, \quad F^2\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}\frac{n+1}{E_n^0-E_{n+1}^0}=F^2\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}\frac{n+1}{(-\hbar \omega)}=-F^2\frac{n+1}{2m\omega^2}[/tex]
[tex]m=n-1, \quad F^2\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}\frac{n}{E_n^0-E_{n-1}^0}=F^2\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}\frac{n}{(\hbar \omega)}=F^2\frac{n}{2m\omega^2}[/tex]

and

[tex]E_n^2=-\frac{F^2}{2m\omega^2}[/tex]

P.S.1 My mistake for the sign!

P.S.2 In LaTeX the solutions is always the obvious \hbar=[tex]\hbar[/tex]. :smile:

Wow...you're totally, right, thanks a lot!

Related to Constant force perturbation of the quantum SHO

1. What is constant force perturbation in the context of a quantum SHO?

Constant force perturbation is a technique used to study the behavior of a quantum simple harmonic oscillator (SHO) under the influence of a constant external force. This force is added to the Hamiltonian of the system and can cause a shift in the energy levels and change the dynamics of the SHO.

2. How does constant force perturbation affect the energy levels of a quantum SHO?

Under constant force perturbation, the energy levels of a quantum SHO are shifted by an amount proportional to the strength of the external force. This shift is known as the Stark effect and can be calculated using perturbation theory.

3. Can constant force perturbation be used to study the quantum SHO in the ground state?

Yes, constant force perturbation can be used to study the quantum SHO in any energy level, including the ground state. The external force will cause a shift in the energy of the ground state, providing valuable information about the behavior of the system.

4. What are the advantages of using constant force perturbation in studying the quantum SHO?

Constant force perturbation allows for a more realistic representation of a quantum SHO in a physical system, as external forces are often present in real-life scenarios. It also provides a way to study the effects of these forces on the energy levels and dynamics of the SHO.

5. Are there any limitations to using constant force perturbation in studying the quantum SHO?

One limitation of constant force perturbation is that it assumes a small perturbation, meaning that the external force should not significantly alter the dynamics of the SHO. Additionally, it may not accurately represent more complex systems where the external force is not constant over time.