Constant C in Vapor Pressure Equation

In summary, the conversation is about the vapor pressure equation P=C^(-\DeltaH/RT), where P is the vapor pressure, C is a constant, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, and \DeltaH is the enthalpy. The question is about the units of C and the availability of a table of values for common liquids. The complete expression for the vapor pressure equation is also mentioned, which includes the unit pressure (P_0) and the entropy increase (\Delta S) when the condensed phase evaporates. This equation is derived by setting equal the chemical potentials of the condensed and vapor phases.
pzona
I'm working on vapor pressure for my general chemistry class, and I recently came across the curve P=C^(-[tex]\Delta[/tex]H/RT). I was wondering what the units are for C (or are there no units because it is a constant?) and where I could find a table of values for common liquids (water, ethanol, methanol, diethyl ether, etc.). I know that I can cancel out C when actually doing problems, but I was curious to see the magnitudes of the values and how much they differ from each other. I haven't been able to find a table of values so far, so if anyone has a link I'd appreciate it.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The complete expression is

[tex]P=P_0\exp\left(\frac{\Delta S}{R}-\frac{\Delta H}{RT}\right)=P_0\exp\left(\frac{\Delta S}{R}\right)\exp\left(\frac{-\Delta H}{RT}\right)[/tex]

where [itex]P_0[/itex] is the unit pressure (e.g., 1 Pa, 1 bar, 1 atm, etc.) and [itex]\Delta S[/itex] is the entropy increase when the condensed phase evaporates. This equation is derived by setting equal the chemical potentials of the condensed and vapor phases.

Hello,

Thank you for your question about the constant C in the vapor pressure equation. The constant C does not have any units because it is a dimensionless quantity. It is a constant that is specific to the substance being studied and takes into account the molecular interactions and size of the molecules.

As for a table of values for common liquids, there are various resources available online that provide this information. One reliable source is the NIST Chemistry WebBook (https://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/), which has a database of thermodynamic and physical properties for a wide range of substances, including those you mentioned (water, ethanol, methanol, diethyl ether, etc.). You can search for a specific substance and find its vapor pressure at different temperatures.

I hope this helps with your research. Good luck with your studies!

Best,

Related to Constant C in Vapor Pressure Equation

1. What is the Constant C in the Vapor Pressure Equation?

The Constant C in the Vapor Pressure Equation refers to the Antoine coefficient, which is a numerical value used to calculate the vapor pressure of a substance at a given temperature. It takes into account the intermolecular forces between molecules and the temperature dependence of these forces.

2. How is the Constant C determined for a specific substance?

The Constant C is typically determined experimentally by measuring the vapor pressure of a substance at different temperatures and then using these values to calculate the Antoine coefficient. The resulting value can vary depending on the purity of the substance and the measurement method used.

3. Can the Constant C change for a substance?

Yes, the Constant C can change for a substance if there is a change in the physical properties of the substance, such as its purity or molecular structure. It can also vary depending on the units used to express the vapor pressure and temperature in the equation.

4. How does the Constant C affect the accuracy of the Vapor Pressure Equation?

The accuracy of the Vapor Pressure Equation depends on the accuracy of the Constant C value used. If the Constant C is not determined accurately, it can lead to significant errors in the calculated vapor pressure values. Therefore, it is important to use reliable and precise values for the Constant C to ensure the accuracy of the equation.

5. Is the Constant C the same for all substances?

No, the Constant C is unique to each substance and cannot be generalized. It is dependent on the intermolecular forces and temperature dependence of the specific substance, and therefore, will vary from one substance to another.