Constant acceleration in a straight line with variable distances

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle with constant acceleration passing through points O, A, and B. The distances OA and AB and the time taken to travel each distance are given. The first part of the problem is to calculate the acceleration, which is determined to be 2ms^-2. The second part involves finding the initial velocity at point O and using it to calculate the time taken to travel a distance of 105m from O. The solution requires using the equation s = ut + .5at^2 and solving for u at O. The conversation ends with a request for the calculation of a and the initial velocity to be posted.
yonewt

Homework Statement

A particle which moves with a constant acceleration in a straight line passes through the point O, A and B in that order. If the distances OA and AB are 17 m and 35 m respectively and the particle takes the same amount of time , 3 seconds to travel each distance then calculate

i)acceleration

ii) the time taken to travel 105 m from O

Homework Equations

s = ut + .5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i figured out the acceleration. the second part is giving me trouble

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get for a? Did you also calculate u at O?

no i didnt get u. i got a to be 2ms^-2

Yes, that's right for a. If you now calculate u at O, can you see how to finish the question?

how do i go about calculating u at O? can u explain to me?

yonewt said:
how do i go about calculating u at O? can u explain to me?
Well, how did you calculate a? The equation you quoted has a u in it.

haruspex said:
Well, how did you calculate a? The equation you quoted has a u in it.
yeah i do but i don't know how to go about finding u at O can you explain to me how?

please post your working for how you calculated a.

Related to Constant acceleration in a straight line with variable distances

1. What is constant acceleration in a straight line with variable distances?

Constant acceleration in a straight line with variable distances refers to an object moving in a straight line with a consistent change in velocity over time, while also covering varying distances during its motion.

2. How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is represented by the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between constant acceleration and uniform motion?

The main difference between constant acceleration and uniform motion is that in constant acceleration, the velocity of the object is changing at a constant rate, while in uniform motion, the velocity remains constant.

4. How does distance affect constant acceleration?

The distance an object travels is directly related to its acceleration. The greater the distance, the longer the object has to accelerate and therefore, it will have a greater change in velocity. However, the acceleration itself remains constant.

5. Can constant acceleration occur in a curved path?

No, constant acceleration can only occur in a straight line. In a curved path, the direction of the velocity is constantly changing, meaning the acceleration is not constant.