Consider the lines & find an equation of a plane [Cal III]

In summary: Yes, you are absolutely right. Having 0 as the coefficient of Z is what scared me. My professor hadn't covered what that meant very well, so I was confused. Thank you very much for your input.
BoonBoon
Consider the Lines Below:

r
= <2, 3, 0> + t<3, -3, 1>

r = <5, 0, 1> + s<-3, 3, 0>

A.) Find the point at which the given lines intersect.
B.) Find an equation of the plane that contains these lines.

Homework Equations

[/B]
The vector equation of a line is given by r = r0 - tv

The equation of a plane is given by N . (r - r0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked everything to the best of my ability but I ended up getting an equation of a line as opposed to the equation of a plane... Did I do something wrong? Here is a picture of my work:

jtnnCwd.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
BoonBoon said:
Consider the Lines Below:

r
= <2, 3, 0> + t<3, -3, 1>

r = <5, 0, 1> + s<-3, 3, 0>

A.) Find the point at which the given lines intersect.
B.) Find an equation of the plane that contains these lines.

Homework Equations

[/B]
The vector equation of a line is given by r = r0 - tv

The equation of a plane is given by N . (r - r0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked everything to the best of my ability but I ended up getting an equation of a line as opposed to the equation of a plane... Did I do something wrong? Here is a picture of my work:

jtnnCwd.jpg
I don't see anything wrong with your work. The two lines intersect at (5, 0, 1) (I checked), and the equation of the plane is indeed x + y = 5. In three dimensions this is a plane.

Mark44 said:
I don't see anything wrong with your work. The two lines intersect at (5, 0, 1) (I checked), and the equation of the plane is indeed x + y = 5. In three dimensions this is a plane.

Thank you so much. I think I figured out the error in my way of thinking. For some reason I was thinking of my answer as looking like a cube in R3. But since x + y = 5 is a line in R2, I could just scale the Z value infinitely in either direction in R3, as long as I'm restricted to that line. Thus, I would have a plane. Interesting. Thanks so much for your response!

You say " I ended up getting an equation of a line" but that is not true. A line cannot be written as a single equation in 3 dimensions. What you have is a plane in which the coefficient of z happens to be 0. That simply means that the plane is parallel to the z-axis. You can think of it as the line defined by x+ y= 5 in the xy-plane extended parallel to the z-axis.

HallsofIvy said:
You say " I ended up getting an equation of a line" but that is not true. A line cannot be written as a single equation in 3 dimensions. What you have is a plane in which the coefficient of z happens to be 0. That simply means that the plane is parallel to the z-axis. You can think of it as the line defined by x+ y= 5 in the xy-plane extended parallel to the z-axis.

Yes, you are absolutely right. Having 0 as the coefficient of Z is what scared me. My professor hadn't covered what that meant very well, so I was confused. Thank you very much for your input.

Last edited:

Related to Consider the lines & find an equation of a plane [Cal III]

1. What is the equation of a plane in three-dimensional space?

In three-dimensional space, the equation of a plane is typically written in the form Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are constants and x, y, and z are variables representing the three dimensions.

2. What is the purpose of finding the equation of a plane?

Finding the equation of a plane allows us to describe the relationship between three-dimensional objects and their coordinates in space. It is often used in geometry, engineering, and physics to solve problems involving planes and their intersections with other objects.

3. How do you find the equation of a plane given two lines?

To find the equation of a plane given two lines, we first need to find the direction vectors of the lines. Then, we can find the cross product of the two direction vectors to get a normal vector for the plane. Finally, we can use this normal vector and a point on one of the lines to write the equation of the plane in standard form.

4. What does it mean for two lines to be parallel in three-dimensional space?

In three-dimensional space, two lines are considered parallel if they never intersect, even when extended infinitely in both directions. This means that they have the same direction vector and do not lie on the same plane.

5. Can you find the equation of a plane given three points?

Yes, we can find the equation of a plane given three points. First, we need to find two vectors corresponding to the sides of a triangle formed by the three points. Then, we can use the cross product of these two vectors to get a normal vector for the plane. Finally, we can use this normal vector and one of the points to write the equation of the plane in standard form.