Conservation of momentum with friction

In summary, a bullet with a mass of 1.9×10^−3 kg embeds itself in a wooden block with a mass of 0.991kg, compressing a spring with a stiffness of 100N/m by a distance of 4.5×10^−2m before coming to rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and table is 0.55. The initial speed of the bullet can be calculated using the equation .5kx^2= .5mv^2- (Mu x F(g)). However, there are errors in the attempt at a solution, such as using 1/2*k*x instead of x^2 and using an incorrect value for the combined mass
Thepoint

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass 1.9×10^−3 kg embeds itself in a wooden block with mass 0.991kg
which then compresses a spring (k= 100N/m ) by a distance 4.5×10^−2m before coming to rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and table is 0.55.

a) What is the initial speed of the bullet?

b) What fraction of the bullet's initial kinetic energy is dissipated (in damage to the wooden block, rising temperature, etc.) in the collision between the bullet and the block?

Homework Equations

.5kx^2,
normal force x Mu,
.5mv^2,
mgy
m1*v1=(m1+m2)*v2

The Attempt at a Solution

.5kx^2= .5mv^2- (Mu x F(g))
2.25J= .5(.0019kg)v^2 - (.55)1.036kg(9.8m/s^2)
v=91 m/s

I don't know what I did wrong. Also I can answer the second part if I know the first part so just help me out with the first part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thepoint said:

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass 1.9×10^−3 kg embeds itself in a wooden block with mass 0.991kg
which then compresses a spring (k= 100N/m ) by a distance 4.5×10^−2m before coming to rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and table is 0.55.

a) What is the initial speed of the bullet?

b) What fraction of the bullet's initial kinetic energy is dissipated (in damage to the wooden block, rising temperature, etc.) in the collision between the bullet and the block? ]2. Homework Equations
.5kx^2,
normal force x Mu,
.5mv^2,
mgy
m1*v1=(m1+m2)*v2

3. The Attempt at a Solution
.5kx^2= .5mv^2- (Mu x F(g))
2.25J= .5(.0019kg)v^2 - (.55)1.036kg(9.8m/s^2)
v=91 m/s

I don't know what I did wrong. Also I can answer the second part if I know the first part so just help me out with the first part.

Calculate the PE put in the spring:
1/2*100(.045)2 = .10 not the 2.25 J you used. (You apparently used 1/2*k*x not x2 )

Also m1 + m2 is .9929. Where did the 1.036kg come from?

Your attempt at a solution is incorrect because you did not take into account the fact that the bullet embeds itself in the wooden block, meaning that the mass of the system changes after the collision. Here's a corrected solution:

a) To find the initial speed of the bullet, we can use the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1 = (m1+m2)v2. We know the masses of the bullet and block, so we can plug those in: (0.0019 kg)v1 = (0.0019 kg + 0.991 kg)v2. We also know that after the collision, the system comes to rest, so v2 = 0. Solving for v1, we get v1 = 0.991 kg / 0.0019 kg * 0 = 0 m/s. This means that the initial speed of the bullet was 0 m/s.

b) To find the fraction of the bullet's initial kinetic energy that is dissipated, we can use the equation for kinetic energy: KE = 0.5mv^2. We know the initial speed of the bullet is 0 m/s, so the initial kinetic energy is 0. After the collision, the bullet is embedded in the block and the system comes to rest, meaning that all of the bullet's kinetic energy has been dissipated. Therefore, the fraction of the bullet's initial kinetic energy that is dissipated is 1.

Related to Conservation of momentum with friction

1. What is conservation of momentum with friction?

Conservation of momentum with friction is a physical law that states that the total momentum of a closed system will remain constant as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. In the presence of friction, some of the momentum will be converted into heat energy, but the total amount of momentum will remain the same.

2. How does friction affect conservation of momentum?

Friction affects conservation of momentum by converting some of the momentum into heat energy. This means that the total amount of momentum in a closed system will decrease over time due to friction. However, the law of conservation of momentum still holds true, as the total amount of momentum before and after the interaction remains the same.

3. Can conservation of momentum still be applied in the absence of friction?

Yes, conservation of momentum can still be applied in the absence of friction. In a frictionless environment, there are no external forces acting on the system, so the total momentum will remain constant. This is why objects can continue to move in a straight line in outer space, where there is no friction or air resistance.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect conservation of momentum?

The coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the level of friction between two surfaces, can affect the amount of momentum that is converted into heat energy. A higher coefficient of friction means that more momentum will be lost to heat energy, while a lower coefficient of friction means that less momentum will be lost.

5. Can conservation of momentum with friction be applied in everyday situations?

Yes, conservation of momentum with friction can be observed in many everyday situations, such as when a car comes to a stop due to friction between its tires and the road, or when a ball bounces and eventually comes to a stop due to friction with the ground. Understanding this concept can also help engineers design more efficient machines and vehicles.