Conservation of Momentum when an Object Rebounds

In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanics of a perfectly elastic collision between a ball and a wall, with a focus on the conservation of momentum. The ball bounces back with the same speed, but the direction of the momentum changes. The question is raised about how momentum is conserved in this situation, and it is explained that momentum is not conserved because of the external force from the wall. However, if the ball and the Earth are considered as one system, then momentum can be conserved through a miniscule change in the Earth's velocity.
Mikry
This is my first post(of hopefully many!), so I hope I've made this thread in the right subforum...

Anyway! Let me set the scene:
Say you throw a ball against a wall, a perfectly elastic collision takes place and the ball bounces back off the wall with the same speed.

Now I understand the mechanics of this in terms of kenetic and potencial energy: the kenetic energy is turned into some form of potencial energy and then converted into kenetic energy again.

But I can't seem to wrap my mind around what's going on with the momentum in this situation. The momentum travels in one direction before it hits the wall, and then afterwards it travels in the complete opposite direction. I don't understand how the momentum is being conserved or what the external force is that's causing the momentum to change...

Could someone please explain what's going on there? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is conserved when there is no external force acting on the system. In this case, the momentum of the ball is not conserved because it is acted on by a force from the wall.

Now, if you consider the ball and the whole Earth all as one system then for the collision there is no external force. So to conserve momentum the ball must have produced some miniscule change in the velocity of the earth.

Related to Conservation of Momentum when an Object Rebounds

What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum of objects before and after a collision or rebound must be equal.

How does momentum affect an object when it rebounds?

When an object rebounds, its momentum changes in both magnitude and direction. This is due to the conservation of momentum, where the object's initial momentum is equal to its final momentum after the rebound. The change in momentum during a rebound is determined by the mass and velocity of the object.

What factors affect the conservation of momentum during a rebound?

The conservation of momentum is affected by the mass and velocity of the object before and after the rebound. The mass of an object determines how much inertia it has, and the velocity determines how fast it is moving. These factors determine the object's momentum, which must be conserved during a rebound.

Is the conservation of momentum always applicable during a rebound?

Yes, the conservation of momentum is always applicable during a rebound as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the rebound must occur in a closed system, where there are no external forces such as friction or air resistance affecting the objects involved.

What are some real-life examples of the conservation of momentum during a rebound?

Some examples of the conservation of momentum during a rebound include a basketball bouncing off the floor, a tennis ball hitting a racket, and a car bouncing off a wall. In all of these cases, the objects involved experience a change in momentum during the rebound, but the total momentum of the system remains constant.