Conservation of momentum: vertical shot

In summary, a 0.028 kg bullet is fired at 165 m/s into a 0.15 kg baseball initially at rest. The bullet embeds itself in the ball and the combined mass rises to a height of 34.4 meters after the collision. This is calculated using the equation mv + mv = mv + mv and taking into account the initial velocities and masses of the objects involved.
mandy9008

Homework Statement

A 0.028 kg bullet is fired vertically at 165 m/s into a 0.15 kg baseball that is initially at rest. How high does the combined bullet and baseball rise after the collision, assuming the bullet embeds itself in the ball?

Homework Equations

mv + mv = mv + mv

The Attempt at a Solution

m1 = 0.028 kg
v1 = 165 m/s
m2 = 0.15 kg
v2i = 0 m/s

(0.028 kg)(165 m/s) + (0.15 kg)(0 m/s) = (0.178 kg) vf
vf=25.96 m/s

v2=vo2 - 2gy
25.962 = - 2(9.8 m/s2)y
y=693.5m

Physics news on Phys.org
mandy9008 said:
v2=vo2 - 2gy
25.962 = - 2(9.8 m/s2)y
y=693.5m

That does not give 693.5 m. Recheck it.

ah, i subtracted instead of divided. man, i feel silly now! thank you! when I divided, i got 34.4m, which is correct :)

Related to Conservation of momentum: vertical shot

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does conservation of momentum apply to a vertical shot?

In a vertical shot, conservation of momentum applies as the initial momentum of the object, given by its mass and velocity, remains constant throughout the trajectory until it reaches its maximum height.

3. Why is conservation of momentum important in a vertical shot?

Conservation of momentum is important in a vertical shot because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in freefall, such as projectiles or falling objects.

4. How does the mass and velocity of an object affect its momentum in a vertical shot?

The mass and velocity of an object both play a role in determining its momentum in a vertical shot. A heavier object will have a greater momentum than a lighter object moving at the same velocity, while a faster moving object will also have a greater momentum than a slower moving object with the same mass.

5. Does conservation of momentum only apply to vertical shots?

No, conservation of momentum applies to any situation where there is no external force acting on a closed system. This includes horizontal shots, collisions, and other types of motion.