Conservation of Momentum: Solving For Velocity After Collision

In summary, the example given in Asimov's Understanding Physics illustrates the conservation of momentum. After a head-on collision between two pucks, the combined pucks will continue moving in the direction of the more massive puck but at half the original velocity. This is because the total momentum of the system must remain constant. The reason for the new velocity being half the original is due to the division by the mass of the entire system.
hemmi
I'm currently reading Understanding Physics by Asimov and am stuck on an example he gives regarding conservation of momentum.

Suppose one puck was moving to the right at a given speed and had a momentum of mv, while another, three times as massive, was moving at the same speed to the left and had, therefore, a speed of -3mv. If the two stuck together after a head-on collision, the combined pucks (with a total mass of 4m) would continue moving to the left - the direction in which the more massive puck had been moving - but at half the original velocity (-v/2).

What I don't understand is, why half the velocity? -2v makes sense to me if the momentum of the small mass "canceled out" an equal momentum of the larger mass, but -1.5v doesn't make sense. I'm obviously missing something, I just don't know what. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hemmi said:
I'm currently reading Understanding Physics by Asimov and am stuck on an example he gives regarding conservation of momentum.

What I don't understand is, why half the velocity? -2v makes sense to me if the momentum of the small mass "canceled out" an equal momentum of the larger mass, but -1.5v doesn't make sense. I'm obviously missing something, I just don't know what. Thanks!

If the new velocity is -2v, then the new momentum is (4m)(-2v)=-8mv,right? But how could it have more momentum than initially given unless an external force acts?

But if no external force acts, then the momentum must be the same as it was initially given.
Initial momentum is -2mv. So if the new mass is 4m, then the new velocity must be -v/2 so that the new momentum is (4m)(-v/2)=-2mv.

Momentum is a vector so it can be + or - depending on direction.
p=mv m is mass in Kg and v is velocity (vector) in ms^-1 so p is momentum in Kgms^-1.
If no units are given then its just the same except it would be something like u ms^-1.
p = mv = 1*3 = 3
p = mv = 3*-3 = -9 3+-9 = -6
v = -6/4 (add up momentum and masses) = -1.5ms^-1
I think this is correct. The thing to rember is that momentum is always conserved.

hemmi said:
What I don't understand is, why half the velocity? -2v makes sense to me if the momentum of the small mass "canceled out" an equal momentum of the larger mass,
The momentum of the small mass does "cancel out" an equal momentum (in the opposite direction, of course) of the larger mass. The total momentum is now -2mv. To find the new speed you must divide by the mass of the entire system, which is now 4m. So: Vf = (-2mv)/4m = -v/2, in other words: half the original speed v.

Related to Conservation of Momentum: Solving For Velocity After Collision

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that the total amount of momentum before an event, such as a collision, is equal to the total amount of momentum after the event.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. Mathematically, it can be represented as p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. The SI unit for momentum is kg*m/s.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision do not lose any energy to other forms, such as heat or sound. In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved.

4. How do you solve for velocity after a collision?

To solve for velocity after a collision, you need to use the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects involved, v1 and v2 are their initial velocities, and v1' and v2' are their final velocities. You will also need to use the conservation of kinetic energy equation: 1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2m2v2^2 = 1/2m1v1'^2 + 1/2m2v2'^2. By solving these equations simultaneously, you can find the final velocities of the objects after the collision.

5. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where the objects involved stick together after the collision and move as one unit. In this type of collision, some kinetic energy is lost, and the final momentum of the system is conserved. This can happen due to the objects deforming or changing shape during the collision.