Conservation of Momentum - Shuffleboard

In summary, the two pucks, with the same mass and negligible friction, have a glancing collision resulting in final speeds of 0.6106482 m/s and 0.7277422 m/s, with one puck moving at a 50 degree angle to the horizontal in the positive y direction and the other moving at a 40 degree angle to the horizontal in the negative y direction. This is determined using the equations for conservation of momentum in the x and y directions.
Prixfex
Hi PhysicsForums. :P First time here. I would just like someone to verify whether I did this problem correctly.

A moving shuffleboard puck has a glancing collision with a stationary puck of the same mass. If friction is negligible, what are the speeds of the pucks after the collision?

Given variables: v1i = 0.95 m/s, after collision, m1 (puck 1) moves at a 50 degree angle to the horizontal, positive direction in the y (assuming a regular coordinate grid), while m2 (puck 2) moves at a 40 degree angle toe the horizontal, negative direction in the y.

Attempt:

Conservation of Momentum (X direction)

Pi = Pf
m1v1ix + m2v2ix = m1v1fx + m2v2fx
v1ix = v2fx-v1fx
0.95 = v2 (cos 40) - v1 (cos 50)

Conservation of Momentum (Y direction)

m1v1iy + m2v2iy = m1v1fy + m2v2fy
0 = v1fy + v2fy
-v1 (sin 50) = v2 (sin 40)
v1 is a vector, so since its moving in a positive direction (according to my grid), it's still positive anyway...
v2 = v1(sin50)/sin40

substitute this into the equation I got for C.o.M. in the X

0.95 m/s = v1 (cos50) + v1(sin50)(cos40)/sin(40)
0.95 m/s = v1 (cos 50 + sin50(cos 40)/sin(40)

v1 = 0.95m/s / (cos 50 + sin50cos40/sin40)
v1 = .6106482 m/s

substitute this into the equation I had for C.o.M. in the Y

v2 = .6106482 m/s (sin 50)/sin40
v2 = .7277422 m/s

Hopefully I got this right? >_>

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you got it correct! The final speeds of the two pucks after the collision are 0.6106482 m/s and 0.7277422 m/s.

Hello, welcome to PhysicsForums! Your approach to solving this problem is correct. You have correctly applied the conservation of momentum in both the x and y directions. Your final calculations for the speeds of the pucks are also correct. Great job!

Related to Conservation of Momentum - Shuffleboard

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on the system. In simpler terms, this means that the total amount of motion in a system will not change unless an external force is applied.

2. How does conservation of momentum apply to shuffleboard?

In shuffleboard, conservation of momentum applies to the movement of the discs on the board. The initial momentum of the disc is determined by the force applied by the player. As the disc slides across the board, it will maintain its momentum unless acted upon by an external force, such as friction or contact with another disc.

3. Why is conservation of momentum important in shuffleboard?

Conservation of momentum is important in shuffleboard because it helps to determine the outcome of the game. By understanding the principles of momentum, players can make more accurate predictions about the movement of the discs and adjust their strategy accordingly.

4. Can conservation of momentum be violated in shuffleboard?

No, conservation of momentum cannot be violated in shuffleboard as it is a fundamental law of physics. The total momentum of the discs on the board will always remain constant, even if there are external forces acting on them. Any apparent violation of conservation of momentum in shuffleboard can be explained by other factors, such as friction or air resistance.

5. How does the mass and velocity of a disc affect conservation of momentum in shuffleboard?

The mass and velocity of a disc can affect conservation of momentum in shuffleboard. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of the discs on the board will remain constant. This means that if one disc has a larger mass or a greater velocity, the other discs will have to compensate by having a smaller mass or a lower velocity in order to maintain the total momentum of the system.