Conservation of momentum question. (which is the correct method)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the velocity of truck B after a collision with truck A. Two methods are discussed, with the first method giving a more accurate answer. The importance of considering direction when solving physics problems is also emphasized.
chestycougth
I am trying to revise this subject but I am unsure which of the two method's I've used is the correct one. Can someone help me?

Homework Statement

two trucks travel towards each other. truck A has a velocity of 10 m/s and truck B has a velocity of 3 m/s. Truck A has a mass of 1000 kg and truck B has a mss of 1500 kg. Find the velocity of B after the collision if A has a velocity of 1 m/s afterwards in the same direction has before the collision.

2. relevant equations

total momentum before collision = total momentum after collision
p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

method 1

total momentum = (1000 * 10) + (1500 * 3) = 14500 kg m/s

momentum of A after collision = 1000 * 1 = 1000 kg m/s

momentum of B after collision = 14500 - 1000 = 13500 kg m/s

velocity of B:
v = p/m
v = 13500 / 1500 = 9 m/s

method 2

1 = (1000 * 10) - 1500v
1500v = 1000 * 10
v = 1000 *10 / 1500 = 6.6 m/s

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum has sign as well as magnitude!
Both answers are wrong.

Draw a picture of what the problem states, and assign a direction for +x. You'll see what you missed the first time around.

climb515c said:
Draw a picture of what the problem states, and assign a direction for +x. You'll see what you missed the first time around.

I don't understand what you mean by +x. Do you mean I need to give a direction to the velocity?

Yes, you do have to.

If truck A is going 10m/s to the right (positive), Truck B is going 3 m/s to the left (negative), or -3m/s. Since the question stated they are going towards each other.

Its best to draw a picture, then label the diagram with a direction you've decided to call "positive". Sometimes the problem already tells you which way is positive, but in this case it didn't.

Last edited:
climb515c said:
Yes, you do have to.

If truck A is going 10m/s to the right (positive), Truck B is going 3 m/s to the left (negative), or -3m/s. Since the question stated they are going towards each other.

Its best to draw a picture, then label the diagram with a direction you've decided to call "positive". Sometimes the problem already tells you which way is positive, but in this case it didn't.

Will either method give me a correct answer if I make sure to take the direction into account?

I got an answer of 3 m/s for method 1 and -6.6 m/s for method 2. I don't see how it can be method 2 since truck A has a positive velocity and truck B would have had to go through truck A in order to still have a negative velocity after the collision. However, method 2 is the way I was shown to use, so now I'm a little confused.

Method 1 of yours looks more right. Pi = Pf

therefore, (miA*viA) + (miB*viB) = (mfA*vfA)+(mfB*vfB)

Your only unknown is vfB

Just make sure your initial signs are all correct, that's when drawing a diagram helps.

Last edited:

Related to Conservation of momentum question. (which is the correct method)

1. What is the conservation of momentum principle?

The conservation of momentum principle states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision or interaction will be equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

2. How is the conservation of momentum principle applied in physics?

The conservation of momentum principle is applied in physics by using the equation p1 + p2 = p3 + p4, where p represents momentum and the subscripts refer to different objects or particles involved in the interaction. This equation is based on the fact that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant.

3. Can the conservation of momentum principle be violated?

In classical mechanics, the conservation of momentum principle is considered to be a fundamental law and is not known to be violated. However, in certain scenarios such as at the quantum scale or in relativistic situations, the principle may not hold true.

4. What are some real-life examples of the conservation of momentum principle?

Some real-life examples of the conservation of momentum principle include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, a rocket launching into space, and a person jumping off a diving board. In all of these situations, the total momentum before and after the interaction remains constant.

5. Why is the conservation of momentum principle important in science?

The conservation of momentum principle is important in science because it allows us to accurately predict the motion and interactions of objects and particles. It is a fundamental law of physics that has been extensively tested and confirmed, and it helps us understand and explain many phenomena in the natural world.