Conservation of momentum problem

In summary: I get.In summary, when an object with mass m collides with an object with mass 3m in one dimension, with the object with mass m moving at 3 times the velocity of the object with mass 3m, the velocities after the collision can be calculated using the equation for conservation of momentum. It is likely an elastic collision, meaning kinetic energy must remain unchanged. Simplifying the equation by substituting m1 and m2 for m and 3m, and vi1 and vi2 for 3v and v, can make it easier to solve.
bookerdewitt

Homework Statement

An object with mass m and an object with mass 3m collide in one dimension. The object with mass m is moving at 3 times the velocity of the object with mass 3m. What can you say about their velocities after the collision?

Homework Equations

m1vi1 + m2vi2 = m1vf1 + m2vf2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well first I tried to use the equation for conservation of momentum and solve for the final velocities but it got quite messy and I wasn't getting anywhere. But if they collide head on wouldn't the velocities after the collision have to be 0 since the total momentum before would be 0? The only thing is it doesn't say theyre colliding head on.

Physics news on Phys.org
It says that they collide in one dimension, which is a way of saying that they collide head-on. The velocities do not have to be zero after the collision, but the momentum has to remain zero. This is probably supposed to be an elastic collision, so kinetic energy must remain unchanged (i.e., velocity can not be zero).

To start, try changing m1 and m2 to m and 3m, and then vi1 and vi2 to 3v and v. After you do that, you can simplify the equation considerably.

I did try that but I must have messed up somewhere... ill try it again

Related to Conservation of momentum problem

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In simpler terms, it means that the total amount of motion in a system does not change unless an external force is applied.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying mass and velocity. The equation for momentum is: p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg m/s).

3. What is an example of a conservation of momentum problem?

An example of a conservation of momentum problem is a collision between two objects. The total momentum of the two objects before the collision will be equal to the total momentum after the collision, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

4. Can momentum be lost or gained?

No, momentum cannot be lost or gained. It can only be transferred or conserved. In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant, even if individual objects within the system gain or lose momentum.

5. What are some real-life applications of conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is applicable in various real-life situations, such as car collisions, sports (e.g. billiards, baseball), rocket propulsion, and even in daily activities like walking and throwing objects. It is also important in understanding the motion of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.