Conservation of momentum problem

In summary, two boats with equal speeds of 6m/s move parallel to each other. A load weighing 600N is transferred from one boat to the other, causing the second boat to continue with a speed of 4m/s. The first boat weighs 5000N and water resistance is not a factor. Using the conservation of momentum equation, the mass of the second boat can be found to be 300kg.
nejikun

Homework Statement

Two boats move parallel each other inertially in opposite directions. They both have a speed of 6m/s. When they are near we move a load from one boat to the other. After this the second boat continues in the same direction with a speed of 4m/s. Find the mass of the second boat if the first boat weighs 5000N and the load weighs 600N. Water resistance should not be taken into consideration

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a few ways but none of them takes me to the same solution as the book. It should be 300kg but I keep getting other answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi nejikun! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

i thought that it should be :
[m(1)+m(l)]*V(1) + m(2)*V(1)= m(1)*V + [m(2)+m(l)]*V(2)
the only problem is that i don't know the speed of the first boat after moving the load.
the other ways are logically wrong as i now understand. I have no clue for any other way to solve it.

Hi nejikun! :smile:

You don't need the final speed of the first boat (though you can find it, if you want :wink:)

Hint: how much momentum does the load lose? :smile:

Well you confused me even more with the hint :S. I read again all the theory about momentum but i am still missing something. I don't understand what you mean by the load losing momentum.

The load was going at 6 m/s one way, now it's going at 4 m/s the other way …

how much was the change in its momentum? :smile:

oh so all the problem was because i didn't take into consideration the direction.

sorry to disturb you again but i still can't solve this. i can't figure out anything

ok, let's do it in stages …

i] The load was going at 6 m/s one way, now it's going at 4 m/s the other way …

how much was the change in its momentum? :smile:

i think it is 120 kg*m/s

nejikun said:
i think it is 120 kg*m/s

(that's with g = 10 m/s2 ?)

It would help if you wrote your reasons as well …

change in momentum = change in velocity times mass …

so what is the change in velocity, and what is the mass?

No, it's not 120, that would be if the load slowed down from 6 km/s to 4km/sec, both in the same direction.

Try again! :smile:

yes g=10m/s^2. So the change is velocity is 10m/s and the mass is 60 kg so the change in momentum is 600 kg*m/s

nejikun said:
yes g=10m/s^2. So the change is velocity is 10m/s and the mass is 60 kg so the change in momentum is 600 kg*m/s

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yup! :biggrin:

ok, now …

ii] apply the conservation of momentum equation for the load and the second boat combined …

what do you get? :smile:

i tried this : m(2)*V(1)+600=[m(2)+m(L)]*V(2) but it is not correct.

nejikun said:
i tried this : m(2)*V(1)+600=[m(2)+m(L)]*V(2) but it is not correct.

uhh? :confused:

what numbers?

it's m(2)*6+ 600 = [m(2)+ 60]*4 and when i solve for m(2) it comes out negative

nejikun said:
it's m(2)*6+ 600 = [m(2)+ 60]*4

ah, you've counted some of the load's momentum twice

do you see that the 60*4 is already included in the 600? :smile:

Look at it this way … the momentum gained by the load must equal the momentum lost by the second boat. :wink:

I finally sovled it :D thank you veeery much tiny-tim for all your time ;)

Related to Conservation of momentum problem

What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on it. This means that in a closed system, the initial momentum of all objects must equal the final momentum of all objects.

How is conservation of momentum related to collisions?

Conservation of momentum is closely related to collisions because it dictates that the total momentum of all objects involved in a collision must be conserved. This means that the sum of the momentums before the collision must equal the sum of the momentums after the collision.

What are the different types of collisions?

There are two main types of collisions: elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved and the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and some energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects.

How can conservation of momentum be applied to real-life problems?

Conservation of momentum can be applied to real-life problems such as car accidents, billiard ball collisions, and rocket propulsion. By using the principle of conservation of momentum, scientists and engineers can calculate the velocities and trajectories of objects involved in these situations.

What are the limitations of conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle, but it does have some limitations. It is based on the assumption that there are no external forces acting on the system, which may not always be true in real-life situations. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors such as friction, air resistance, and energy loss. Therefore, it is important to use conservation of momentum in conjunction with other principles and calculations when solving real-world problems.