Conservation of Momentum problem — Firing a cannonball

In summary, the final velocity and direction of the cannon will be 4 m/s to the left because the momentum before the shot was 0 due to the opposite and equal reaction. This is calculated using the equation m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2' and considering the cannon's mass of 50,000kg and the cannonball's mass of 20kg. In the second part of the conversation, it is discussed that the cannon's recoil velocity will not change significantly if it is fixed to the ground, as the extra mass of the Earth will have a negligible effect on the velocity.
Ineedhelpwithphysics
Homework Statement
A 50,000kg Cannon fires a cannon ball of mass 20kg. If the final velocity of the cannon ball is 10,000m/s to the right, what will the final velocity and direction of the Cannon be?
Relevant Equations
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'
So I am guessing the cannons final velocity will be 4 m/s to the left because there momentum before shot was 0 because of opposite and equal reaction so

50,000kg x -4 m/s + 20kg x 10,000 m/s = 0 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ineedhelpwithphysics said:
Homework Statement:: A 50,000kg Cannon fires a cannon ball of mass 20kg. If the final velocity of the cannon ball is 10,000m/s to the right, what will the final velocity and direction of the Cannon be?
Relevant Equations:: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

So I am guessing the cannons final velocity will be 4 m/s to the left because there momentum before shot was 0 because of opposite and equal reaction so

Yes

• Love
Likes Delta2
Ineedhelpwithphysics said:
Homework Statement:: A 50,000kg Cannon fires a cannon ball of mass 20kg. If the final velocity of the cannon ball is 10,000m/s to the right, what will the final velocity and direction of the Cannon be?
Relevant Equations:: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

The answer to this particular problem is easy to guess. Can you guess the cannon's recoil velocity if the cannon had mass 48,340 kg and the final velocity of the 18.75 kg cannon ball 9,853 m/s to the right? If you are like me and cannot guess this one, what would you have to do instead to answer the question?

kuruman said:
The answer to this particular problem is easy to guess. Can you guess the cannon's recoil velocity if the cannon had mass 48,340 kg and the final velocity of the 18.75 kg cannon ball 9,853 m/s to the right? If you are like me and cannot guess this one, what would you have to do instead to answer the question?
I would add the question what if the cannon is fixed to the ground?

bob012345 said:
I would add the question what if the cannon is fixed to the ground?
Then conservation of momentum doesn't hold for the system cannon+ball because there is the external force from the ground. However it holds for the system cannon+ball+ground.

Delta2 said:
Then conservation of momentum doesn't hold for the system cannon+ball because there is the external force from the ground. However it holds for the system cannon+ball+ground.
But would the cannonball go faster?

haruspex said:
Well hm I don't know, if we consider that the ground has infinite mass, it will move with 0 speed but its momentum ##0\cdot\infty## seems undefined... Or what do you think

Delta2 said:
Well hm I don't know, if we consider that the ground has infinite mass, it will move with 0 speed but its momentum ##0\cdot\infty## seems undefined... Or what do you think
Since the cannon is firmly attached to the Earth, the cannon and the Earth recoil as one. Thus, the recoiling mass is that of the cannon plus the Earth. It is very large relative to the mass of the cannon but not infinite. Furthermore, the recoil momentum of the Earth+cannon system is not undefined; it is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the momentum of the cannonball.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
Yes, but by a very very small amount. Given some fraction of the chemical energy of the charge that goes into the kinetic energies of the system is fixed whether the cannon is free to recoil or fixed to the ground, the velocities of the cannon labelled ##1## and the cannonball labelled ##2##, we have; $$v_2 = \sqrt{ \frac {2E } {m_2(1 + \frac{m_2}{m_1})}}$$

As ##m_1## gets larger, ##v_2## gets larger but not by much as it approaches the limit of ##\sqrt{\frac{2E} {m_2}}## as ##m_1 →∞##.

Given the original numbers of 20kg and 50,000kg we can take the ratio of the velocity ##v_2## with the mass of the cannon plus the Earth to the velocity of the cannon alone. It will be exactly ##\sqrt{1 + \frac{20}{50000}}## which is 1.0002.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
bob012345 said:
Yes, but by a very very small amount. Given some fraction of the chemical energy of the charge that goes into the kinetic energies of the system is fixed whether the cannon is free to recoil or fixed to the ground, the velocities of the cannon labelled ##1## and the cannonball labelled ##2##, we have; $$v_2 = \sqrt{ \frac {2E } {m_2(1 + \frac{m_2}{m_1})}}$$

As ##m_1## gets larger, ##v_2## gets larger but not by much as it approaches the limit of ##\sqrt{\frac{2E} {m_2}}## as ##m_1 →∞##.

Given the original numbers of 20kg and 50,000kg we can take the ratio of the velocity ##v_2## with the mass of the cannon plus the Earth to the velocity of the cannon alone. It will be exactly ##\sqrt{1 + \frac{20}{50000}}## which is 1.0002.
Yes, I had assumed that was the point of your question in post #4. Of course, you are assuming that the work done by the expanding gases at the point where the ball exits the cannon is constant, but I think that's provable.
But we should end this diversion. Going off topic on a thread is discouraged, though it's less of an issue once the OP's question has been resolved.

Likes Delta2 and bob012345

Related to Conservation of Momentum problem — Firing a cannonball

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that in any interaction between objects, the total momentum before the interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction.

2. How does conservation of momentum apply to firing a cannonball?

When a cannonball is fired, the cannon and the cannonball make up a closed system. The cannonball has an initial momentum of zero, while the cannon has a certain amount of momentum due to its mass and velocity. When the cannonball is fired, it gains momentum in the opposite direction to the cannon's momentum, resulting in a conservation of momentum within the system.

3. What factors affect the conservation of momentum when firing a cannonball?

The conservation of momentum in firing a cannonball is affected by the mass and velocity of the cannonball, as well as the mass and velocity of the cannon. Additionally, external forces such as air resistance and friction can also impact the conservation of momentum.

4. Can conservation of momentum be violated?

No, conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. In any interaction between objects, the total momentum of the system must remain constant.

5. How is conservation of momentum used in real-world applications?

Conservation of momentum is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as rocket propulsion, car crashes, and sports. It is also used in the design of machines and structures to ensure that they are balanced and stable.