Conservation of Momentum Problem- Bullet

In summary, to solve for the muzzle speed of the bullet, you must first calculate the retarding force using the coefficient of friction and the mass of the block and bullet. Then, use kinematic equations to find the initial velocity of the block and bullet system. Finally, use the conservation of momentum equation to solve for the initial speed of the bullet.
Littlemin5

Homework Statement

A 15g bullet strikes and becomes embedded in a 1.10kg block of wood placed on a horizontal surface just in front of the gun. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface is .25, and the impact drives the block a distance of 9.5m before it comes to rest, what was the muzzle speed of the bullet?

Homework Equations

m1v1+m2v2=m1v'1+m2v'2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I will eventually use the above equation in order to solve for V1 but i don't quite understand had to use the other information given such as the friction in order to get to this point in the problem solving process. Any advice please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try using Newtons second law, F=ma to find the acceleration in the x direction?

You know the coefficient of friction and you can find the normal force of the block and bullet combo to get the Fn. So Fn(coefficient of friction)= Force friction.

Then use kinematic eq's to get the blocks velocity, then use momentum.

You use that equation to calculate the instantaneous velocity of the bodies right after the impact. After this friction is there, so there will be acceleration. So you need the friction to calculate the acceleration of the body, and since the distance of stoppage is given, you can calculate the initial velocity, from which using the equation you described, the speed of the bullet can be calculate before the impact.

NBAJam100 said:
Did you try using Newtons second law, F=ma to find the acceleration in the x direction?

You know the coefficient of friction and you can find the normal force of the block and bullet combo to get the Fn. So Fn(coefficient of friction)= Force friction.

Then use kinematic eq's to get the blocks velocity, then use momentum.

Sorry but I'm still a bit confused. I know that Newton's Second Law is F=ma, but how can you find the normal for of the combo. Could you explain this a bit further?

Littlemin5 said:
Sorry but I'm still a bit confused. I know that Newton's Second Law is F=ma, but how can you find the normal for of the combo. Could you explain this a bit further?

Sure.

You know that the bullet is embedded in the block so they have a certain combined mass. So you are given the coefficient between the surface and the block and you know that Ffr=Fn(coefficient friction)... So when the bullet goes into the block, it accelerates forward, but forces in the Y axis are still balanced...

So Fw=Fn, and then from that you can find the Force of Friction and use F=ma in the X direction to find the acceleration.

Then you can use that accel to find the initial speed of the block bullet system...

and then use mv(1)+mv(2)=V(m1+m2) to get the initial v1 because you already will have solved for the V when you found the initial speed of the bullet block system from the kinematic equation.

Littlemin5 said:
A 15g bullet strikes and becomes embedded in a 1.10kg block of wood placed on a horizontal surface just in front of the gun. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface is .25, and the impact drives the block a distance of 9.5m before it comes to rest, what was the muzzle speed of the bullet?

Homework Equations

m1v1+m2v2=m1v'1+m2v'2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I will eventually use the above equation in order to solve for V1 but i don't quite understand had to use the other information given such as the friction in order to get to this point in the problem solving process. Any advice please?

First solve the retarding force (F = ma = μmg ) The acceleration (deceleration in your case) then can be used with standard kinematic equation like Vf² = Vi² + 2*a*x

This yields your initial velocity after the bullet strikes the block. From that use the conservation of momentum to figure the initial speed.

Related to Conservation of Momentum Problem- Bullet

1. What is the conservation of momentum principle?

The conservation of momentum principle states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum before an event must equal the total momentum after the event, regardless of any internal changes within the system.

2. How does the conservation of momentum apply to a bullet?

The conservation of momentum principle applies to a bullet in the same way it applies to any other object. When a bullet is fired from a gun, it has a certain amount of momentum. As it travels through the air, it may encounter external forces like air resistance, but the total momentum of the bullet and gun system remains constant.

3. Can the conservation of momentum be used to solve problems involving a bullet?

Yes, the conservation of momentum can be used to solve problems involving a bullet. By knowing the initial momentum of the bullet and the gun, and the external forces acting on the system, we can use the principle of conservation of momentum to determine the final momentum of the bullet and gun system.

4. What is the equation for conservation of momentum?

The equation for conservation of momentum is: Σpinitial = Σpfinal. This means that the total initial momentum of a system is equal to the total final momentum of the system.

5. How does the conservation of momentum relate to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

The conservation of momentum is closely related to Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of a bullet being fired from a gun, the bullet exerts a force on the gun in one direction, while the gun exerts an equal and opposite force on the bullet in the opposite direction. This results in a conservation of momentum in the system.