Conservation of momentum photoelectric effect

In summary, the photoelectric effect involves the emission of electrons from a metal when a photon enters, using its energy for electron binding and kinetic energy. The emitted electron can be in the opposite direction of the incoming photon due to the lattice ions in the metal absorbing the recoil momentum. This does not affect the conservation of momentum, but it does contribute to the work function that must be overcome. The absorbed momentum can be calculated using the wavelength of the photon and the velocity of the electron, but in reality, the detailed momentum depends on the band structure of the material.
Gavroy
hi

i was thinking about the photoelectric effect, that we discussed in school:

we said that, when a photon enters, it has an energy and this energy is used for electron binding energy and kinetic energy. so far so good.

but how is it possible, that the electron is emitted in the opposite direction of the incoming photon? this is totally against my understanding of conservation of momentum?

at first, i thought that it might be possible, that the metal layer itself would absorb twice the amount of momentum in the direction of the incoming photon. but this is also impossible, as this would need a huge amount of energy too, so there could not be any emitted electrons with the full kinetic energy.
therefore, my question is: where am i wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gavroy said:
hi

i was thinking about the photoelectric effect, that we discussed in school:

we said that, when a photon enters, it has an energy and this energy is used for electron binding energy and kinetic energy. so far so good.

but how is it possible, that the electron is emitted in the opposite direction of the incoming photon? this is totally against my understanding of conservation of momentum?

at first, i thought that it might be possible, that the metal layer itself would absorb twice the amount of momentum in the direction of the incoming photon. but this is also impossible, as this would need a huge amount of energy too, so there could not be any emitted electrons with the full kinetic energy.
therefore, my question is: where am i wrong?

It's a very good question, and why photoelectric effect cannot occur on a volume of free electron gas.

What is going on here is that the "free electrons" in the conduction band in a metal still has a weak "potential" that couples it to the material's lattice ions. So while they can hop, skip, and jump between these ions, they still "see" these ions as a serious of weak, periodic potential.

Consequently, these lattice can act to take up the recoil momentum when the electrons are emitted from the solid. Since the lattice ions are prohibitively massive when compared to the electrons, you don't see much of an effect on them (very much like throwing a ball at a wall). But that's enough to save the conservation of momentum.

Zz.

Likewise on the absorption side the massive lattice takes up the incoming momentum not the electron.

but does this not mean, that not all the energy is used to bring up the kinetic energy of the electron and the binding energy? i mean, if some amount is used to transport momentum to the metal layer, it might be possible to measure a different maximum kinetic energy if you do this experiment by using a different angle of incidence?

Gavroy said:
but does this not mean, that not all the energy is used to bring up the kinetic energy of the electron and the binding energy? i mean, if some amount is used to transport momentum to the metal layer, it might be possible to measure a different maximum kinetic energy if you do this experiment by using a different angle of incidence?

The energy that is taken up by the lattice is part (a rather small part, I might add) of the "work function" that has to be overcome.

Zz.

okay, but is it true, that the absorbed momentum of the metal is:

p=h/λ+mv

where lambda is the wavelength of the photon and v the velocity of the electron?

Gavroy said:
okay, but is it true, that the absorbed momentum of the metal is:

p=h/λ+mv

where lambda is the wavelength of the photon and v the velocity of the electron?

But you can do your own calculation, because it is "trivial". It is the momentum of the emitted electron plus the miniscule momentum of the original incoming photon.

Now, I said "trivial" because we are talking about the simple photoelectric effect. In reality, the detailed momentum depends on the band structure of the material. This is because the in-plane momentum (momentum parallel to the surface of the material) is conserved with respect to the original momentum of the electron in the material, but out-of-plane momentum isn't, due to the recoil lattice. So it isn't as simple as what we have discussed here, but it should be sufficient to settle your question.

Zz.

Related to Conservation of momentum photoelectric effect

What is conservation of momentum in the photoelectric effect?

The conservation of momentum in the photoelectric effect refers to the principle that the total momentum of a system before and after a photon is emitted or absorbed must remain constant. This means that the momentum of the photon must be equal and opposite to the momentum of the electron emitted or absorbed.

How does the conservation of momentum apply to the photoelectric effect?

In the photoelectric effect, photons are emitted or absorbed by atoms or molecules. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of the system (photon + atom/molecule) must remain constant before and after the interaction. This means that the momentum of the photon must be equal and opposite to the momentum of the atom/molecule, resulting in the emission or absorption of an electron.

What is the significance of the conservation of momentum in the photoelectric effect?

The conservation of momentum in the photoelectric effect is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of photons and electrons in the interaction. It also provides evidence for the particle nature of light, as the conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle of particle interactions.

How is the conservation of momentum experimentally verified in the photoelectric effect?

The conservation of momentum in the photoelectric effect can be experimentally verified by measuring the momentum of the emitted or absorbed electron and comparing it to the momentum of the incident photon. If the two values are equal and opposite, it confirms the conservation of momentum in the interaction.

Does the conservation of momentum always apply in the photoelectric effect?

Yes, the conservation of momentum always applies in the photoelectric effect as long as the interaction takes place in a vacuum with no external forces acting on the system. In other cases, such as when the photoelectric effect occurs in a gas or liquid, other factors may need to be taken into account.