Conservation of momentum of collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving the conservation of momentum during a collision between two objects with different masses and speeds. The equation for the conservation of momentum is Mu1-mv1 = Mu2+mv2, and the person asking for help has found a mistake in their book.
sander2798
Hey everyone,

I have a little physics space problem I can't manage to solve, so I hoped someone would be able to help me here.

This is the problem:
We have an object with mass m and speed v1 approaching an other object with mass M and speed U1. The two objects are moving in opposite direction directly towards each other. After the collision the objects are moving with the following speeds in the same direction, because mass M is a million times bigger than m and therefore only get's slowed down. Mass m1 with speed v2, and mass M with speed U2. What is the equation for the conservation of momentum for this collision?

Does anyone know the answer on this? I'd be really thankful if anyone is able to help me.

Sander.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
sander2798 said:
Hey everyone,

I have a little physics space problem I can't manage to solve, so I hoped someone would be able to help me here.

This is the problem:
We have an object with mass m and speed v1 approaching an other object with mass M and speed U1. The two objects are moving in opposite direction directly towards each other. After the collision the objects are moving with the following speeds in the same direction, because mass M is a million times bigger than m and therefore only get's slowed down. Mass m1 with speed v2, and mass M with speed U2. What is the equation for the conservation of momentum for this collision?

Does anyone know the answer on this? I'd be really thankful if anyone is able to help me.

Sander.

Mu1-mv1 = Mu2+mv2

Likes sander2798
virgil1612 said:
Mu1-mv1 = Mu2+mv2
Thanks a lot, appearantly there was a mistake in my book, thanks.

Related to Conservation of momentum of collision

1. What is conservation of momentum in a collision?

Conservation of momentum in a collision refers to the principle that the total momentum of a system before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. In other words, the total momentum of the objects involved in the collision remains constant.

2. Why is conservation of momentum important in collisions?

Conservation of momentum is important in collisions because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects before and after a collision. It also allows us to solve problems involving collisions, such as calculating the velocities of objects after a collision or determining the mass of an object based on its impact on another object.

3. What factors affect the conservation of momentum in a collision?

The conservation of momentum in a collision is affected by the mass and velocity of the objects involved. The larger the mass and velocity of an object, the greater its momentum and the more significant its impact on the conservation of momentum in a collision.

4. Does conservation of momentum always hold true in collisions?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics and always holds true in collisions, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum of the objects before and after the collision will always be equal.

5. How does the conservation of momentum apply to real-world collisions?

The conservation of momentum applies to all types of collisions, including those that occur in the real world. For example, in a car crash, the total momentum of the cars before the collision will be equal to the total momentum after the collision, even if the cars end up with different velocities. This principle is also important in fields such as engineering, where it is used to design safer and more efficient structures and vehicles.